73. Who Is She? 👒

I went to bed last night feeling good, great, and prepared for tomorrow. I woke up this morning feeling shocked, surprised, and oblivious.

Headlines: RiSe Records' Former Intern Found Dead

My phone was vibrating, but I fumbled picking it up.

Colby: Jamie, I'm not sure if you've heard, but a former RiSe Records intern has died. The office is closed for today. I cancelled everything on your schedule for today, too.

Monica sat in bed with me reading through different blogs on social platforms and news sites. "This is so sad. Her name was T'keyna Brown. She was 24 years old. They found her in her apartment unresponsive."

My phone vibrated. I looked to see a text message.

Larry: I just heard what happened. Sorry to hear about it. We can get in the studio anytime. Hit me up when you're available.

Me: Thanks, Larry. I'm sorry we couldn't meet today, but I promise we'll collab.

Larry: Ok Bet

Monica got out of bed. "I'm gonna get some coffee. You want anything from the kitchen?

I rubbed my forehead. "Umm... I'll just go with you."

My phone rung. 

"Who is it?" Monica asked me.

As soon as I answered it, I had to interrupt my panicked mother. "I'm okay, Mama. Don't worry. I'm fine."

There were two knocks on the bedroom door.

Monica walked over and opened it.

Zeke stepped inside the room. 

"Mama, I'm okay. I promise. Monica  is here with me. I'll call you back. Okay? Bye."

"Everything okay?" Zeke asked me.

I nodded my head. "What's the plan?"

Zeke replied, "I'm going to Ricky's condo to talk to him, but I do have a plane to catch in the morning. The network is ready to audition for Season 2 of The Power House."

"Already?" The first season just ended. Talk about milking a cow.

"That's good, E. How long will you be gone?" Monica asked him.

"About three weeks." Zeke rubbed his hands together. "I'll be in New York and then Florida for a few days. Then, I gotta go to Detroit, Nashville, Atlanta, Houston, and Vegas."

"Wow! I haven't been to half of those places," Monica informed him.

Zeke smiled to her. "You can always come with me."

Monica blushed.

I folded my arms. "Zeke, did you know the intern?"

He answered, "I met her a couple times. She was closer to Ricky. I think she was one of his friend's daughter or niece."

Monica added, "Some blogs said that she aspired to be a famous music journalist. She wasn't very likeable in the industry, because she 'told too much.' They're calling it the truth conspiracy, because within the past five years, a lot of small-time music people have either disappeared or died."

"Coffee sounds great, right now." I walked over to the bedroom door.

"Are you a conspiracy theorist?" Zeke asked Monica.

She placed her fingers to her lips. "I don't conspire and tell."

"Can we please make our way down to the kitchen?" My level of irritation was increasing.