85. Left on Read 📱

With one more week to go before the end of the year, I was glad it was a Wednesday. When Zeke came back today, I don't know why I was expecting to see Monica, too. Zeke text me to come to his room. It kinda reminded me of old times. Old times? Have I lived in this house that long? 

He shared with me how his trip went. I could tell which cities he enjoyed the most, because he didn't failed to mention what he and Monica did. 

Zeke paced the floor as he talked. "Auditions for the second season of The Power House will start next month. I was thinking it's too early, but the plan is to be able to do two seasons per year. Based on the trajectory of the show, I know this is a solid plan. The show gained even more popularity after the season finale episode. I had meetings with a few different streaming services that gave some nice offers. I'm going to meet with my advisors about it tomorrow." 

I sat on his sofa, half-listening and half-daydreaming.

"Jae... Jae..." Zeke waved his hand in front of my face.

I looked at him with a small smirk on my face.

"Are you okay?" He asked me. 

I nodded my head.

"Have you been getting enough sleep?"

I exhaled, "Yeah. I've been getting sleep as much as possible."

Zeke sat beside me. "What's on your mind?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. I'm glad your back, but I just wish Monica was here."

Zeke confessed, "I tried to persuade her myself, but she wants to spend this time with her family. I wish you could be there with them."

"Me, too."

 "Now that I remember, my mom's birthday is the day after Christmas. Every year we pretty much celebrate everything on her birthday. It's become a family tradition. You can join us."

"Thanks for the invite, but I don't want to act like we're a couple; especially, since you and Monica are the real couple." I told him.

Zeke nudged me. "My parents will be too preoccupied to notice anything different between us."

Even though he thought he was providing me with assurance, the thought of being around Zeke's parents made me stress. I really don't have the energy to ponder on it.

I left his room so he could shower and get some rest. On my way to my bedroom, Colby text me the changes to my schedule for the remainder of this week. Tomorrow, my rehearsal for a live TV performance went from three to five hours. I groaned all the way to my bed.

It was around 8 o'clock when I woke up from my unexpected nap. Now, I know I gotta find something to watch for about an hour or two before falling back to sleep. As I surfed through movies to watch, I kept thinking about what Bridgette would cook tomorrow. She said she was making dinner for breakfast and breakfast for dinner. I really couldn't wait. It would definitely be the highlight of my day.

Also, it was her last day in the house before going on her break. Monday was Warren's last day. Maximo's last day would've been tomorrow like Bridgette, but he said he wanted to take me to my last performance of the year. That almost made me cry.

Even though I've had my fair share of complaints, the one thing I couldn't complain about was how fast time was going. Before long, the new year will be here.

I ended up watching a stage play titled "The Fabric of a Man" by David E. Talbert. Half-way through the play, my phone rang. I hadn't heard my phone ring in forever. Mostly because I normally had my phone on vibrate. I answered it before changing it to vibrate. "Hello."

"Sounds like I caught you at a bad time," A.B. spoke.

I instantly smiled. How did I miss his name across my screen? "Well, this is a surprise."

He asked, "Were you gonna wait until 11:59 on December 31st to text me back?"

"Sir, you haven't text me in a while."

"Last week, I sent you a text. It's still on Read."

Oops. I rubbed my forehead. "I'm sorry, A.B. I've been so busy. What did you text me?"

"Good morning, beautiful. I hope you have a great day. Let me know when you're free to talk."

I rolled my eyes. "Hold on." I took the phone away from my ear and went to that text. I responded to it.

Me: I can talk right now

A.B. laughed, "Finally."

I put my phone back to my ear. "Thanks for calling me, though. I've been having some dark days."

He asked me, "Can I bring you some sunshine?"

I answered, "Yes, please."

"I have a plane ticket. I'll depart East Grove and arrive in Los Angeles on December 29th"

I sat still.

A.B. whispered, "I'm coming to see you."

Literal music to my ears. "Are you serious? I'm so excited now. I thought I was gonna have to spend the end of the year away from family. I think I've been homesick."

"I'll try to pack as much of East Grove as I can," A.B. told me.

I said, "You won't be able to fit Monica in there."

"You really are lonely," A.B. joked. "What do you want to do when I get there?"

"Yeah so unfortunately... I don't know my schedule for next week, but I know I'll be working." I picked up my remote to turn my TV off.

A.B. said, "I don't mind. I can be your bodyguard."

I giggled, "You won't be able to do much."

"Send me a list of everything I won't be able to do. My eyes will still be on you."

Now there's no way I'll be able to go to sleep without dreaming about him. It's time for reinforcements. Bring out Erma Demure's life lessons. It's time to be a no woman.

I got more comfortable in bed. "Sir, you cannot be talking to me like that. I am a child of God."

A.B. stated, "Proverbs 31:29-31 or read the entire chapter."

"I'll read it. So tell me, how've you been?" I asked him.

"I've been okay, bu. I'll tell you more when I see you in-person."

"You better. And don't work too hard, A.B.."

"Same to you, Jamie. I'm going to let you get some sleep. Have a good night, pretty lady."

"Goodnight, handsome." I hung up my phone. Time, you need to hurry it up and tick tock so I can see my A.B.