95. The Beginning of The End 🏁

My parents ended up calling me back. We stayed on the phone for about an hour. Since I wasn't home, they weren't doing much but cooking and watching TV. 

On Zeke's mother's birthday, I saw a small tree on the kitchen table decorated with the color pink. There were several gifts around it. All were from Cathy's husband Zell and their sons. It was cute how they put it together.

That evening, a private chef came over to cook Cathy's favorite meal. I couldn't pronounce it, but I heard sushi. 

Surprisingly, Zeke came to my room with fried fish, hush puppies, and French fries. It wasn't my mama's cooking, it wasn't Bridget's cooking, and it definitely wasn't Cha-Cha's cooking, but it was edible and cooked. My taste buds were satisfied.

On Tuesday morning, Zeke kept the surprises coming by driving me to the RiSe Tower for my meetings. He said he'd be back in two hours to pick me up. 

With my sunglasses and baseball cap on, I entered the building. I met up with my team to discuss plans for my album and the new year. So much was in the works from doing a voiceover in an animated series and video games, a possible role in a movie, contributing music to a romantic comedy's movie soundtrack, and singing the National Anthem at the Superbowl.

Toward the end of the meeting, my team shared that they had pitched a concert movie to several streaming platforms. Good news: they all wanted to do it. Bad news: the timing. I agreed with my team that this concert movie should come out at the same time as my album on February 10th.

Vallie, my marketing and promotions manager said, "Jae, the timing makes this project impossible."

"Should I push my album back then?" I inquired as I sat at the end of the long table.

Marsha, my booking agent cleared her throat. "We all would love for Jae to headline her very own concert which I know will happen and be a huge success, but hear me out... please... Why don't we do a small concert? Think Michael Jackson's This Is It... Selena Live from Astrodome. The other day I was watching Nirvana on MTV Unplugged. I think--"

Vallie cut her off, "Marsha, why are all the artists you're naming dead?"

Everyone started to laugh including myself. It was how he said it. Vallie is usually to blame for why our meetings can be long, but I'm glad he's a part of my team because he breaks up the seriousness.

Marsha pointed at me. "Forget what Vallie said. Tell me what do you think."

I smiled, "I like your idea of a small concert, but I really want to have a concert movie that comes out at the same time as my album. I think we can do it, but strip it back. Let me sing my songs from the album in acoustic form. Just me and my guitar player and a couple background singers. Nothing fancy or distracting with the stage. Keep it simple. Nothing crazy with the lights, and no audience."

"Will people tune in for a stripped down concert?" Vallie asked me.

My social media manager snapped her fingers. We all looked at Hannah. She smiled, "We can get a choreographer or a musical director to help Jae navigate the stage so it isn't a standing still performance. Also, you don't have to perform every song on your album. This should be no more than one hour, like 50 minutes length; especially, if we include behind-the-scenes footage and an interview. This will be social media gold."

Everyone nodded their heads in agreement.

"Team, get back in touch with the streaming services and tell them how we want this to go. The first one that can check all our boxes and get this out in time is who we'll go with." I stood to my feet. "This meeting is adjourned."

"Not so fast." We all turned around to see Ricky Santana standing by the door. "Everyone is free to leave. I need to talk to Jae."

Everyone left. I sat back down.

Ricky sat across from me. "I haven't seen you in some time. How've you been, Jae?"

I avoided eye contact. "Resting."

"Good. Every year, I have a New Year's Eve party at my house, and I have elite performers. This year, I want you to perform."

I sighed, "I appreciate the invite, but unfortunately, my schedule is full. I won't be able to do it."

"You will be compensated. The party is on December 30th. You'll perform at midnight or should I say on New Year's Eve."

I shook my head, "I have to start getting ready for a huge performance tomorrow. I won't have the time to prepare. It's too short a notice."

Ricky was quiet.

I finally looked at him.

He stood up. "You are my artist. Without me, you will never perform on any stage. Do you own RiSe Records? Are you the CEO? The Founder? The President? Do I work for you?" Although, his tone in voice never changed, I recognized the threat.

I was reminded of the meeting I had with Anaya. They really are siblings.

Ricky unexpectantly hit the table causing me to jump. He leaned over the table. "If you don't perform at my party, you won't perform anywhere else. I will make sure your album never sees the light of day." 

I was as stiff as a board.

Ricky took my cap off my head. Then, he removed my sunglasses. "I can reveal your identity. I have the power to turn your dream into a nightmare. Don't disobey me, Jamie Sawyer. Be a good girl."

I swallowed the uneasy feeling in my throat as hot air came out of my nose. 

He asked, "Are you going to perform at my New Year's Eve party on December 30th at midnight?"

I nodded my head.

"I can't hear you."

"Yes. I'll perform," I answered him.

Ricky replied, "That's my girl." He stared at me for too many seconds before walking away and leaving the meeting room.

When the door closed, I stood up and balled up my fists. I will not allow Anaya and Ricky Santana to get three strikes with me. This has to end sooner than later.

Before leaving the room, I put on my sunglasses and baseball cap. I text Zeke that I was ready. He text that he was waiting downstairs. 

Soon, I walked out the building to see a woman getting out of Zeke's car. Wearing a bad wig and sunglasses, she walked toward me wearing a huge smile. She pulled her shades down. "Don't act like you don't know me."

I immediately ran towards her and gave her a tight hug. "Moni!"

She giggled, "Hey, girl!"

Immediately, tears came out my eyes. I couldn't tell if I was happy to see her or finally reacting to Ricky's disrespect towards me.

Monica rubbed my back. "Aww, don't cry. I just wanted to surprise you."

Zeke said, "Baby, I told you to tell her you would be here."

"E, not now." Monica pulled away from me and studied me. "Are you okay? Those don't seem like tears of joy. Tell me what happened?" She looked at me with concern in her eyes.

"Umm..." My lips quivered. "I..." I couldn't get it out. "Not right now."

Monica nodded her head. "It's okay. We can talk about it later. Let's get in the car."

I got in the backseat of Zeke's car. Monica got in the front seat.

"E, take us back to your house." I heard Monica tell Zeke.

"I thought we were going out to eat."

"We will, but I have to talk to Jamie first. It's important."

Zeke drove without speaking another word.

I'm glad my cousin is here.