71. The Echo ≋

Right after my photoshoot and interview, which was not my best, with Anthem Magazine , I went into rehearsals for my upcoming music videos "Home" and "Easy."

My choreographer Kenneth explained the concepts for both songs. "Home" would definitely have a 70s vibe. I would be a crime-fighting, show-stopping, bad mamma jamma - think Pam Grier. All I had to do was  get into the groove thing. "Easy" is where the heavy dancing would come in. It was time to get my salsa on. Kenneth played a video to give an example on what I'll be learning today.

My jaw hit the floor, and I knew stress was going to be my new name. 

Not even five minutes later, Kenneth was calling me out. "It's not supposed to be easy, Jae. I've given you harder choreography before, and you nailed it."

I explained, "It was regular dancing. This is Salsa. I don't know anything about dancing like this."

Kenneth said, "It's all in the hips."

"I don't move my hips like that." I moved my waist like an unhinged snake.

He chuckled, "Excuses. We don't have time to waste. We got three hours."

An hour later, he shouted, "Jae! We went over this part earlier. I need you to focus. This is a simple 8-count. I know you can do it."

I nodded my head as I walked over to a table and picked up a bottle of water.

"Do you need a break?" Kenneth asked me.

"Yes." I took a few sips of water.

Kenneth said, "Let's take a 10 minute break. I'll be back when you're thinking clearly."

I took a seat on the floor as Kenneth left the dance studio. Immediately, the unwelcomed thought of my cringey interview replayed in my head.

Anthem Magazine: You are one of the fastest selling, successful artist to break in the industry, and you seem to have come out of nowhere. Could you tell us what your life was like before becoming Jae A.B.?

Me: Sure! I was Jae back home, but I didn't put my talent on display. My family knew I could sing, but no one else did. I worked a regular job, paid my bills, and I just got stuck into that routine.

AM: Is it true that you worked at a store near a college campus?

Me: Wow! That's true. 

AM: You worked near a college, but you didn't finish college. Is it because you were failing or you knew you had a dream to follow?

Me: Umm... neither. College isn't for everywhere. Anyone can get self-educate and still be successful in life.

AM: I think we would all want our doctors to have degrees. Wouldn't you agree?

Me: Oh, of course! I just know some people think that college dropouts are failures, but that's not the case.

AM: What was your major?

Me: If I had majored in music, I'd probably become a music teacher. [laughter]

AM: Undeclared.

Me: If that's what you think, then go with it.

AM: Earlier you said your family only knew about your singing ability. Was that your twin sister with you at Lucio's?