77. Listen Up 🍵

After our photoshoot, A.B. gave Donovan his number so he could contact us when the photos were ready. The photos that I did see looked amazing. You'd think A.B. and I were getting married. 

Suddenly, our day was cut short when A.B. got a call from Nyeira. Something happened at the music store, and she didn't know how to fix it. I don't like her. Instead of going with him, I asked that he take me to Monica's house. 

As soon as I walked through the door, I heard "Well, looky-looky! I know you think you're slick, but I smell A.B. all over you. What were y'all doing?"

I closed the front door. "Can I get through the door first before you start questioning me?" I playfully rolled my eyes as I took my shoes off. "Are you just waking up?"

Monica folded her arms. "I'm my own boss. I do as I please."

I drug my feet over to the sofa in her living room. "Monica, I think something is wrong with me?"

"Hold that thought. I got food in the microwave."

I started to rethink telling Monica anything, but she's the only one that I can vent to, and maybe she'll understand or try to make some kind of sense of all this.

Monica appeared with a bowl of rice, black beans, corn, lettuce, shredded chicken, and tomatoes.

"Did you cook that yourself?" I asked her.

"Girl, naw! My mama made this." Monica sat next to me on the sofa. "Earlier, I went to see my parents."

"Aww, how they doing?" I asked about my uncle and aunt.

Monica used her fork to poke her food. "They doing good." She blew over her food before taking a bite. "Speaking of doing, why you dressed like you went on a cozy date?"

I smiled, "You like it? A.B. bought me this." I grabbed one of the pillows on the sofa and hugged it. "I was so sleepy when he picked me up. I left here looking crazy."

Monica asked, "Then, how was the date?"

"It wasn't a date. We just went to see the new shopping center or strip mall that he bought and the mansion he just sold yesterday." I shook my head. "Cousin, he got money for days."

Monica smacked, "Well, duh! Didn't you go to his beach house?"

My brows merged. "A small beach house. When he took me to The Border where the Mayor lives, he pulled into that drive way, and I thought he was gonna say his friend lived there."

"Jamie, we are cousins, right?"

I nodded my head.

"Okay, because sometimes it feels like we're not related. Did you not do a background check on A.B.? Do you know where he's from? What school he graduated from? His birthdate? His mama's name? His former business partner? Like, sis, you gotta do better." Monica chewed her food. "I did a background check on Zeke. Don't you know he's been engaged twice? I'm like, dude, what's going wrong? Why he not committing?"

I recalled what A.B. told me. "You know A.B. and Zeke are now business partners."

"Yeah. Zeke told me," Monica continued, "He's supposed to be making a quick stop down here."

My mouth opened wide. "Whaaat? Zeke is coming to see you?"

Monica didn't seem phased. "Yeah. He wants to see where I live and check on his property."

"Monica!"

She looked at me as if I was crazy.

"Girl, I think he's falling for you... I wish the same was happening for me."