32. Another Day, Another Daughter 👯

This was the second time that I fell asleep in A.B.'s bed. Technically, it's my bed, but... yeah. According to the alarm clock, it was 6:30 a.m. I picked it up to make sure it wasn't broken. I definitely went to bed early to wake up at this time. I pushed the cover off of my body and went to the bathroom. Soon after, I made my way to the kitchen. 

I quickly slowed my pace when I saw A.B. asleep on the couch. He looked so at peace.

"Good morning, Jamie."

I jumped out of my skin, my shadow, and my existence. "Sir!" I loudly exhaled. "Thought you were sleeping."

A.B. chuckled, "It's hard to sleep on this couch." He pointed at his legs that were hanging off the arm of the sofa. 

I grew concerned. "What time do you have to be at work?"

His eyes were still closed. "My uncle called me last night and told me to take the day off." 

Yep. Now, I feel even worse. "A.B., you can have the bed. I slept like a newborn." 

"Only if you mean it."

I playfully rolled my eyes. "I mean it."

A.B. nearly leaped off the couch. His eyes were barely open, but he was looking at me. "How do you feel though? Do you feel better?" He stood in front of me.

"Yeah." Crazy enough, I actually do feel better.

 He gave me a hug. "I hope you feel a lot better."

Without thinking, I hugged him back. "Thank you, A.B." His body was warm, and I could never get tired of his scent. 

He released me. "I might be sleep for the next three hours, but wake me up if you need anything. Okay?"

I wanted to ask could I get another hug.

Instead I said, "I am not waking you up

Instead I said, "I am not waking you up. Go get some rest."

A.B. went to the bedroom, closing the door.

He could've left the door open. It's not like I'm going to watch him sleep. I shook my head.

I went to the kitchen to make some breakfast - milk and cereal. I saw my bags by the coffee table, and I grabbed my purse. I opened it to retrieve my phone. It had a low battery. After putting it on the charger, I checked four missed calls and texts. You guessed it - Monica. I finished eating my bowl of cereal before calling my cousin. Her phone went straight to voicemail.

"Ugh, Monica..." I whispered.

I sent her a text to call me in all caps and exclamation points. Before I could put my phone down, she called me back.

A satisfyi smile appeared on my face. I waited until the third vibrate to answer. "Good morning, Monica." My voice was light and nonthreatening.

"I don't want to hear all that. Why are you sending me emergency texts at 7 o'clock in the morning?"