16. Time ⏰

Today, I made it my mission to learn this mega mansion like my social security number, but I would need a tour guide first. Who better than the man who helped me when I was lost? The only problem was that I didn't know where he or his room was located. 

After looking in the mirror to style my hair in a way that would hide my blemishes, I grabbed my phone and called Bridgette.

"Good morning, Jamie! Will you be eating breakfast this morning?" 

"No. I ate two granola bars. I was calling, because I wanted to talk to Zack about something, but I don't know where his room is. Could you tell me?" I paced the floor.

Bridgette asked, "I'm sorry. Did you say Zeke or Zack?"

Wow. This already sounds bad. "Zeke's brother... Zack."

"Oh, okay. His room is on the third floor."

"Third?" I inquired.

Bridgette chuckled, "Yes. There's a third floor. If you go down your hall and keep straight to where the stairs are. Don't go down them. Turn slighty at a 90 degree angle, and you'll see a painting of the beach. Push on that wall and the door will open. There will be a set of stairs that you can go up to the third floor. Walk pass the sofas and on the right side is a wooden door. That's where Zac is staying. You can't miss it."

"Thank you. Bye." I hung up and scratched my head. "If I get lost or trapped, I'm gonna need an alarm to go off. Where is Smokey the Bear when you need him?"

"Or is it McGruff the Crime Dog?" I was thinking way too hard about this

I put my phone in my pocket, and I followed Bridgette's directions to Zack's room

I put my phone in my pocket, and I followed Bridgette's directions to Zack's room. The third floor needs way more respect than Bridgette gave it. The third floor was it's own hotel lobby. There was a bar with several stools, a TV the size of one wall, a foosball table, a tennis table, darts on another wall, a Pac-Man arcade game, and two sofas adjacent to one another with a table in between. Towards the hallway was a sign that read: Movie Theater. I was in disbelief. Zeke put me on the wrong floor.

"What's up, beautiful?"

I quickly turned around to see Zack walking toward me from the stairs. He asked, "How long you been up here looking for me?"

"Actually, I just walked in." I crossed my arms.

Zack grinned, "You know I heard Bridgette giving you directions to find me."

This is embarrassing.

He laughed. "I told her it was cool. What you want to talk to me about?" 

I almost forgot why I was there in there first place. "I don't mean to bother you or anything like that. Zeke won't be back until Thursday, and I really need to learn how to get around this house without getting lost. Since you helped me yesterday..."

Zack licked his lips. "You want a tour guide?"

"That would be great."

Zack walked behind the bar and grabbed something. He waved at me to come over.

"I don't drink," I informed him.

He held up the brochure. "It's a map."

My brows merged as I took a seat at the bar. "Is that real?"

Zack opened the brochure. There were three floor plans labeled with a map key under each floor plan. I looked it over. "This is an amusement park."

Zack walked around the bar and stood slightly behind me. "You don't have to go walking around. Just keep this map on you." He closed it and handed it to me.

"Thanks. I appreciate it." I took a closer look at it as I spun around in the stool. "I don't see the garage on here."

Zack said, "Why would we show guests where we keep our treasure?" He moved my hair away from my face and tucked it on one side behind my ear. "You should show every angle of that pretty face."

I wanted to tell him to back up, but I believe it would be a waste of time.

Zack asked me, "Since you not doing much today, you can join me in the movie room. Show me how you'd critique a film."

I quickly hopped off the bar stool. "Actually, I'm very busy today. It was good talking to you, though." I headed for the stairs. 

"I'm here anytime you want to come." Zack eyes scanned me from head-to-toe.

"Bye!" I waved at him and dashed down the stairs. Am I over-reacting? It has been a while since a guy has flirted with me. First, it was Zeke. Now, it's his brother. Either way, I still wasn't comfortable enough to receive it.

My phone vibrated. I waited until I was in my room to answer it.

Monica asked, "Why didn't you tell me?"

I closed my door. "Hello, cousin. How are you? I'm doing just fine, and yourself?" 

Monica smacked her lips, "I just talked to you yesterday."

I hopped onto my bed and opened the brochure. "Well, today is a new day."

"Jamie, I'm mad at you. You didn't tell me Zeke Rivers is buying property here in East Grove."

My brows merged, "How'd you hear about that?"

"You know my mama works for the city. He's buying one of those abandoned buildings by East Grove College. I always said that would make a good mall or residential area. I'm still surprised the college didn't buy it." 

I sighed, "East Grove College is still paying back it's burrowed money from the bank."

"True, but when more people find out that Zeke Rivers owns a spot in East Grove, girl, that's gone put us on the map. Then, more people and businesses will move down here, making East Grove a tourist attraction."

I continued to study the map. "I hope not. I like the smallness of East Grove."

"Honestly, I'm waiting for you to fly me out to where you are," Monica changed the subject.

I laughed aloud, "Monica, I just got here."

"I'm just saying like you could release your music next week then BAM! You're all over the place, and family won't even be able to spend time with you anymore."

I shook my head. "That's not realistic; especially, since Zeke won't be back until Thursday."

"Where did he go?" Monica asked me.

"He's in Atlanta for his new talent competition show," I answered.

Monica said, "I hope you've written about 20 songs by now, because when he comes back, he's gonna want to hear what you've done. Don't waste time, cousin."

I smirked, "I won't!"

I talked on the phone with Monica for two hours while looking at the brochure. Before getting off the phone, I had learned the entire layout of the house. Now, I had two options: either explore the house or write songs. I closed the brochure and picked up my notebook. I opened it and saw Zack's signature. He wrote: To a beautiful woman with a voice that was made to be heard around the world - Zack "Rival" Rivers

Have I been singing around the house? I have to be more careful. The thought of spending Tuesday and Wednesday in this house without Zeke was a little scary. So much time, but no time to waste.

"Jamie, you know why you're here. Stay focused." I flipped to a clean page in my notebook.