68. Have Fun 🤪

"And now for her first time in Times Square, performing her newest song and two more hits - Jae A.B.!"

I smiled at the cheering crowd as they stood outside behind the rails.

In acapella, I sang my new song Easy. "I just want you to know-oh... I've been there, done that,  sooo..."

The flamenco guitar came in, followed by the other instruments, creating the salsa-inspired sound of the song.

"New York! Are you ready to have a jam session with me?" I asked. "Let me hear you!"

The audience roared louder.

I smiled before singing the first verse: I used to think I knew it all / I had a plan to never fall / I heard many people say it / I should've known life ain't perfect / Thank God for the lessons / I now count my blessings / Even when it hurts / It could be so much worse 

I took my microphone off the stand as the trumpet and other horns played. I danced from the center to the right side of the stage as if I were Selena herself. Nowhere near close, of course!

"Clap your hands! Everybody, clap your hands like this!" I demonstrated as I clapped with my mic in one hand. I sang the hook: I just want you to know / I've been there, done that, sooo / Never think you're moving too slow / Just don't give up, oh-no 

Then, I walked over to the left side of the stage to sing the rest of the hook: I just want you to know / I've been there, done that, sooo / When you see mee / trust, it was not easy

I walked back to the center of the stage. "Second verse!" I shouted. 

Second verse: Judge a man not by his appearance / Some are wolves in sheep clothing, and / Discern the lies from the truth / but even liars speak some truth / The prize is not popularity / It's my soul to keep / doing the right thing / Hear me when I sing!

Then all the music stopped, and everyone on stage began to stomp their feet in unison. Together my background singers and I sang the hook. "I just want you to know... I've been there, done that, sooo... Never think you're moving too slow. Just don't give up, oh-no." 

The music returned as my background singers continued to sing. I spoke, "Don't look at others and compare yourself to them. God made each of us different from one another. And what works for one, may not work for you, and that's okay. Focus on your own path. So let's live our lives being kind to one another, helping each other, and loving our neighbor. You never know how much of an impact you can be to someone else. At this time, I would like to thank you all for making this next song a hit. Can I take y'all Home with me?"

The crowd screamed as the music made a smooth transition from salsa to disco. "Clap your hands, everybody!" That familiar 70s sound had a few people dancing, and everyone was clapping their hands to the beat.

Verse: Can we be (so serious) / Got me thinking (so curious) / I'm in love with you (do you know) / that I would do (what do you know) / all that I can to make you understand / that I'm not going nowhere / I'm going to prove the love to you / And my love, you won't have to fear (do you know, what do you know-oh-oh)

Chorus: Yes, I'm falling fast / Don't care how long it lasts / Just give me a chance (to do) / a little romance (with you) / Baby! Let me (take you home) / Listen to me! (I'm what you want)