15. Hungry 🍔

I slowly opened my eyes as I listened to my phone ringing. First of all, what time is it? By the third ring, I sat up in bed. I glanced at my window. The sky was dark. I picked up my phone, seeing Zeke's name.

"Hello," I yawned.

"Hi, Jae. This is Jaylei."

"Oh, hi," I greeted her as I wiped the corners of my eyes.

"I'm calling to let you know that Zeke will not be flying back home tonight. He's flying to Atlanta tomorrow morning. He's going to take care of some meetings in person there, but I'll text you when he's on his way back to LA. I'll have his phone the majority of the time, but feel free to text. Have a goodnight."

She ended the call before I could say, "You, too. Thanks for telling me." 

I looked at my phone confusingly. Then, I received a text message.

Zeke: He just confirmed that he'll be back on Wednesday. 

"Wednesday?" I reread the text. "Wednesday?" I looked around my room. "That's two days from now." I sent a reply.

Jamie: What am I supposed to do until Wednesday?

Zeke: Maximo will take you anywhere you want to go. Do you have Cashapp or Venmo?

I cannot believe this is happening. I was so excited to share with him what I've been writing. Now, I have to wait for him to get back from Atlanta. I heavily huffed and puffed as I text Jaylei my cashapp name.

Zeke: Sent. Also, Zeke will be back on Thursday  instead of Wednesday. Night!

I fell over as if I had passed out. "What is life?"

I took a deep breath before sitting up, again. I opened my Cashapp to see a deposit of $1500. I quickly put on my shoes and grabbed my sweater. I was walking out my room and heading out the house. The quickest way was down the hall to the stairs that led to the pool area. Once I was outside, I walked past the pool and around to the front of the house. 

"Miss Jamie, how are you?"

My heart definitely stopped at the sight of Maximo. "Oh, my goodness! How did you know I'd be out here?"

Maximo smiled, "Zeke told me you'd be outside any minute."

"He did?"

"Yes. He just text me about five minutes ago. Where would you like to go?"

I placed my hands on my hips. "Umm... to get some food. I fell asleep longer than I needed to, and now I'm starving."

Maximo led the way to the Range Rover. "No worries. What would you like to eat?"

I followed him. "I'll be satisfied with a good ol' burger and fries, pretty please."

"I know just the place," he opened the back door and helped me get inside. Then, he got in the driver's seat.

I pulled out my phone ready to call my cousin, but I really don't feel like talking to anyone. I'll call Monica tomorrow when I have absolutely nothing to do. 

Right now, other than food, all I can think about is why I came to California with no guarantee that I'd become a successful singer. The answer is I came here to get away from what I knew - a life of boring repetition. Which one is better? Dreaming about becoming a singer or taking a once in a lifetime trip to become a singer? 

I really have to learn to be patient. This is my second day here. This is a process. I'm not going to rush it. No. I'm going to stay focused and continue to write until I can get in that studio.

"Would you like to listen to some music, Miss Jamie?" Maximo asked me.

"Yes, but I don't have a preference. Play anything you want to hear."

Maximo slightly smiled, and it made me smile. Next thing I heard was Al Green. "What you know about Al Green?" I asked him.

"You forget. I'm the driver for the Rivers Family." He glanced at me through the rearview mirror.

He had a point. "In that case, you know way more than me."

Then, I thought to myself. Maximo, Bridgette, Warren, the body guards, the chef, and Jaylei know a lot about the Rivers. I wonder if I could pick their brains without giving myself away.

"Help!" A man hit my window. 

I jumped back.

Maximo honked his horn as we waited at a red light. 

The man held up a cardboard sign that read: HUNGRY! ANYTHING HELPS PLZ GOD BLESS U

Once the light changed to green, Maximo drove away. "Are you alright, Miss Jamie?"

I opened my purse. "Y-Yes. When we come back this way, I want to give that man some money."

"I can't allow you to rolled down your window or get out the car. It's dangerous back there. A lot of them are criminals and on drugs. A celebrity was attacked and robbed when he was jogging around here last week," Maximo informed me.

As we drove, the sight of tents and trash along the sidewalk caught me by surprise. This is not what I thought I'd see when coming to L.A. East Grove isn't a big city, but there aren't homeless people. If there are, no one can point them out. 

"When did it get like this?" I asked Maximo.

Maximo sighed, "You mean why is it like this?" I could hear the despair in his voice. "Don't worry. You are safe with me. We're almost there, and I'll take you back to the Rivers in one peace." He turned up the music.

I closed my purse. There's so many people with money. Why are there so many people without it?