40. A Thankful Treat 🙏

When we got back to the River's mega mansion, we immediately settled in for bed.

"You want to watch TV until we fall asleep?" I grabbed the remote as I lied on the left side of the bed.

Monica sighed, "Not gonna work for me. I'm way too awake. Why you so sleepy? You just sang your song in front of a bunch of celebrities at your own party? Like, that really just happened."

I chuckled, "Yeah, I was there, Monica." I slapped my forehead. "Oh, I didn't tell you what happened."

Monica completely sat up to hear the story I had for her. As she sat with her legs crossed, I told her about what Anaya and Ricky said to me at the party.

"They definitely sound like they're related."

"They're twins," I told her.

"Even crazier," Monica added. "And they both... essentially said the same thing - you can't rest until your name is known all over the world."

I shrugged my shoulders.

"Are you ready to be on the go for three or so months?"

I admitted, "I don't think that will be an issue for me. I'm more concerned about the dieting."

Monica pointed at me. "You better get all your cravings out before you start. Do they have ice cream in the kitchen?"

Random! But I'm here for it. We jumped out the bed and left my room. As soon as we turned down the hall, darkness was in front of us.

"I don't think I've ever been out here this late," I recalled. "It's so dark."

"I'm glad I brought my phone," Monica turned on the flashlight.

"Me, too."

We linked our arms together as we slowly made our way downstairs to the kitchen.

Surprisingly, when we got to the kitchen, the lights were on.

Click! Bang! Bam!

We looked at one another.

I whispered, "What was that?"

Monica rolled her eyes at me. "Like I'm supposed to know!"

I started to tip-toe over to the kitchen door, but Monica pulled me back. "You supposed to run away from the noise not go to it."

"I'm not running to anything," I told her.

The kitchen door opened and Zack wore a smile on his face. "Ladies..."

I asked, "Hey, was that you in there?"

Zack held a plate of various cake slices. He put it on the table. "Yeah, I was being greedy and knocked somethings over."

Monica eyed his plate. "What you got there?"

"Oh, some cheesecake, lemon bars, apple pie, German chocolate cake, brownies, blueberry muffins, and chocolate chip cookies," Zack answered. "You're welcomed to try some if you want. I'm gonna go make a milkshake. Want one?"

I smiled brightly. I'd never seen Zack like this before. He didn't seem like the late-night-snack type.

"You ain't said nothing but a word." Monica grabbed a cookie. "Do y'all have ice cream?"

"Loads," Zack replied, "I can show you."

Monica and Zack disappeared into the kitchen while I babysat the snack tray I reached for a brownie. Before taking a bite, I sniffed it. Paranoia was already getting the best of me. I think I sniffed the brownie on all sides before taking a bite.