56. No More Sugarcoat 🔚

The Paparazzi was shouting for us to look their way as Zeke walked ahead of me. Ignoring them, two guards waited for us as Zeke turned to look at me. "Stay close. It's gonna be crowded inside." 

Together, we walked inside the famous club. I could hear the music coming from behind the second set of doors in front of us. Instead of going straight ahead, Zeke took my hand and we went to the right where there were a set of stairs. When we reached the top, a man greeted us and opened the door. The music exploded in my ears like a good pair of headphones.

Zeke released my hand as he slightly pushed me forward. I walked in to what appeared to be a VIP section. Then, I saw celebrity after celebrity from actors to singers, and a few reality stars.

"Bro, the show was epic! Man, you gonna be running L.A. if you keep it going."

I heard myself gasp, but I think it was all in my head. I wanted to jump at the sight of Arlando Knight. In 2008 when he came on the scene, I just knew I found my future husband. I know what you're thinking, but I promise you I did not have a crush on every teenage heartthrob from my childhood. It was only about 10 or so of them. 

Ok, Zeke is talking way too much. Why isn't he introducing me to Arlando Knight?

"I was waiting for you to arrive." I heard a male voice near my ear.

I turned my head to see Deonte Way. I smiled at him. "Hey, sir! How you been?"

"Nah, this is not about me. You the superstar I just watch kill the stage earlier. Now, I'm even more disappointed that you taking a break from the studio," he told me.

I asked, "Taking a break? Me?" He had to have been confused.

Deonte nodded his head. "I get it. When you're working on an album, the studio becomes your home. I just wrote another song, and I was excited to let you hear it, but Aja already told me you were done recording until after your tour."

Aja told him I was taking a break from recording music? Why would she tell him that?

"Deonte, forget what you heard. I'd love to hear the new song you wrote."

"Are you serious?" Deonte asked me.

"Yes! You're the first artist that wanted to work with me. For that, I'll always be ready to sing with you."

"Jae, you're too loyal to that man. You sure you don't want to make us happen?" He teased.

I chuckled, "Don't make me take back what I said."

Deonte began to dance. "Say no more! We'll talk later. Enjoy the party."

I waved at him as he turned away. 

The rest of the night went well, but I couldn't stop thinking about what Aja Frost told Deonte Way. Like, why would she tell him that?

When we made it back home, I text Colby that I wanted to schedule a meeting with Deonte Way tomorrow afternoon. That night, I went to bed with a plan to put into action. Soon, the Saturday sun triggered my alarm and I woke up. I checked my phone to see a text.

Colby: Deonte agreed to meet with you at the RiSe Tower at 12:15 p.m. Your schedule is updated.

Knowing that Deonte Way would arrive early to have the studio ready, I decided to be present at noon. I walked down the hall of the studio floor of the RiSe Tower with a smile on my face.

Then, a door opened nearly scaring me as a man walked out. I caught the door before it could close as I followed the sound of music. To my pleasant surprise, Aja Frost was dancing in front of Deonte Way. He lightly laughed as he stood still. When the music stopped, she turned around to face him. "What did I tell you? I told you it would sound good."

"You did," he agreed.

Aja finally saw me and waved. "Jae, my love! What are you doing here?"

Shouldn't I be asking her that? I asked, "How are y'all?"

Deonte Way walked over to me. "What's up, gorgeous? Aja said you weren't going to be able to stay for long so she did all the vocals. I'm glad you still came, because I'd like you to hear the song. Can you give me the Jae A.B. stamp of approval?"

I smiled at him. "For you, I will."

"El, play the song back one more time for us."

The engineer, sitting behind the studio equipment, did as told.

I took a seat in an empty chair.

"I'll be right back." Aja left the studio.

Deonte glanced at me. "I hope you like it."

A single piano key played on repeat as Deonte's voice sang, "I watch you... watchin' me/ you think I won't say a thing/ the truth is I'm waiting for the right time, the perfect time to make you mine/ and when I do, I won't stop lovin' you... You're all I need... you're all I see..."

The words, his voice, the emotion - it was absolutely beautiful. Then, Aja's voice messed it all up. She sang, "You're all I need, baby! You're all I need... to keep by... ahhh, ahhh, ahhh..."

I folded my arms. Please song end now. Once the song was over, Deonte glanced at me, waiting for a response.

I couldn't lie to him. "It's a hit."

"Yes!"

"But you have to leave out the sample. It doesn't need it," I admitted.

"Really? Aja was the one that added it. It sounds good."

I shook my head. "With the sample, I'll be thinking about the original song more than your song. I think the female vocals should repeat what you say in the hook at the end. That way, it completes the need that the man has for her."

Deonte arched a brow. "You know what? That sounds even better."

"What did I miss?" Aja walked in the studio, wearing a smile.

"Jae, just gave me a great idea. We're gonna scrap the sample and just have you repeat the hook."

I added, "And instead of her saying it alone, your voice should repeat you're all I need as the music stops."

Deonte hugged me, lifting me off the ground. "I knew you would be my good luck charm. Are you sure you can't sing it with me?"

Aja appeared in my peripheral. As much as I wanted to say yes. Deep down, it felt like it was best to say no. 

Deonte put me down. "Don't worry about it. I owe you big, Jae."

I'm glad he understood my silence to be no instead of all the words I wanted to call Aja Frost. I left the studio just as Aja went to record more vocals.

The drive back to the Rivers' house made me slightly sad; especially, after I saw Colby had updated my schedule at the same time that I had arrived at the RiSe Tower. I wish I had saw it then so that I didn't have to experience what I did back there.

Colby: Deonte has cancelled the meeting. He apologizes for any schedule conflicts he may've caused. Your schedule is clear for the remainder of the day. 

I finally replied back.

Me: Thanks Colby

When I got to my room, I took off the wig and the sunglasses. I tossed them on the chair in the corner of my room. I loudly inhaled and exhaled. Then, I remembered Zeke said Deonte and Aja use to date. I'm not built for the drama. 

I walked to the closet and grabbed my luggage. Might as well use this time to pack up for my home visit. Hopefully, seeing my family and A.B. will bring me clarity.