99. Planning Ahead 🛟

Just when I thought I was eating alone, Monica came in my bedroom with her food.

"No!" I shouted. "You're supposed to be with Zeke."

"Girl, I ate one burrito with him. Now, I'm gonna eat my second burrito with you." She closed the door behind herself before getting on the right side of my bed. "Also, I need an update on the old man."

I took a sip of my drink before replying, "I thought you said I had until January 3rd."

Monica argued, "I don't care if I said December of next year. We are going to be in the enemy's territory. His habitat. His ecosystem. If we don't have a plan on how we're going to navigate this situation, then anything could happen. What if you end up trapped in a room somewhere? What if Aja tries to fight me?"

I nearly choked on my food. "You mean what if you see Aja and start a fight with her?"

Monica shrugged her shoulders. "Same difference. I just want us to be ready for anything." She took a bite of her burrito.

I sighed, "I talked to my lawyer yesterday, and she said I should record my performance. That way we'll have evidence if something happens which I hope it doesn't."

"Cool. I'll take Zeke's other phone, too."

My brows merged. "He must really trust you."

"The man doesn't hide anything. He uses technology for business purposes only."

"He doesn't have any pictures in his phone of you?" I asked her before taking a bite of my food.

Monica answered, "I didn't see any unless he took them with another phone that I don't have access to."

I smiled, "A.B. and I have pictures together."

Monica smiled at me. "Are you gonna pick him up from the airport tomorrow?"

"We'll talk about it when he calls me tonight."

We ate in silence for a minute before Monica spoke. "Cousin, I'm no expert but if I can give you some advice, please consider taking it."

"What is it?" I looked at her.

"Whatever you do, do not give that man girlfriend benefits without making it official."

My brows furrowed, "Monica, I am not giving A.B. any benefits."

"Yeah, but... The way you were staring out into space talking about y'all took pictures together, I'm afraid if he looks at you too long, you'll fold under pressure. And I really like A.B., but if y'all continue to single but we're together-thing, that could be unhealthy for both of y'all."

I defended myself, "I made things very clear to him that he's not allowed to go there with me."

Monica exhaled, "Okay."

No she not blowing out air as if I'm exhausting her. 

My phone suddenly vibrated. I grabbed it without hesitating. I glanced at the name on the screen and answered it. "Sir, where have you been?"

Deonte lightly laughed, "I know it's been a few days, but I've been busy as I'm sure you have, too. How you been, Jamie?"

I replied, "I've been doing okay."

"Just okay? Sounds like we need to catch up before the year ends."

"Who is that? That don't sound like A.B." Monica thought she was whispering.

Deonte asked me, "Who's that?"

I took my phone away from my ear. I put it on speaker. "Deonte, my nosey cousin Monica is here. Monica say hi to Deonte Way."