35. Words In Writing ✍️

Even though I went to bed at a decent hour, it was hard waking up. It took Monica to hit me with a pillow and put my ringing phone in my face with the brightness to the max for me to get up.

Once I was dressed, I said goodbye to Monica who was snoring in bed. I made my way out of the room to the kitchen. Surprisingly, I was the only one there. Then, I heard some noise in the kitchen. I went through the half-opened door to see Zack's hands around Jaylei's waist. They were all giggles. I paused and quietly backed out.

"Shh! You're too loud," Jaylei told Zack.

I'm glad the lights were dim.

Zack replied, "Not everybody can be as sneaky as you. Can't believe you were able to get in and out like that."

Finally, I was out of the kitchen and tip-toeing out of the area altogether. Before I could get gather my thoughts, my phone vibrated. The name Rochelle Ginger appeared on my screen. I hurried through the nearest door to make sure I had privacy. It just so happened to be the corridor in the garage. I started to walk past the laundry room, but it had a door as well. I ran in and closed it before answering the call.

"Good morning, Jamie. How are you?" Rochelle asked me in a spot-on news reporter voice.

I smiled, "Happy I got up on time. How are you?"

"That's great. I've had my coffee. I'm ready to get the day started."

"Good." I took a seat on top of the laundry room table, allowing my legs to swing.

Rochelle said, "So, Jace told me that this meeting could be your recording contract with RiSe Records."

"Yes. Me and Zeke will be meeting with Ricky Santana."

"And Zeke is?" Rochelle asked me.

"Oh! Zeke Rivers. He's been helping me with like recording my songs and getting me this meeting with Ricky Santana. I've been living in his family's house for about two weeks now."

Rochelle was quiet.

"Hello?" I thought the call dropped.

"Please tell me you have an agreement, something in writing detailing your business relationship with Zeke Rivers?"

I shook my head, "Uh... no. He hasn't asked me to sign anything. I auditioned to be on his new talent show, but I didn't make the cut. He gave me his number, we went out, and he asked me to come to California so that he could help me become a singer and songwriter."

Rochelle cleared her throat, "Has he paid for anything?"

"Y-yeah."

"Jamie, you cannot sign anything at the meeting with Ricky. I wasn't going to let you to begin with, but now I really can't let you. Here's my legal advice - always get the words in writing when it comes to business. Here's my personal advice - nothing in business is free. Trust me. I don't care how rich Zeke is. He is calculating how much he's spent on you so far, and this recording contract is something I bet he is banking on more for his benefit than yours."

I sighed, "So, what do I do?"

"I'm going against my own advice, but because this is fragile timing. You still go to the meeting. Immediately afterwards, I need you to call me. We'll meet over Zoom just you and me," Rochelle continued, "You have my email address. Send me that contract Ricky has for you. I'll look over it with you. From there, we'll discuss Zeke's expenses and get all that put in a contract that you need to present to him. If he says anything about lawyers, which I'm hoping he will, you tell him that you would like for him and his lawyer to meet with you and me."

I asked, "Wouldn't this seem sneaky to him?"

"Just like your song snuck out of his studio and onto the radio airwaves? Yes, Jace told me."

She was definitely a lawyer. We ended our call as I tried to get my head in the right space. My stomach growled, but I wasn't ready to go back to the kitchen just yet.

First of all, I saw Zack and Jaylei hugging. It wasn't a friendship hug, either. If they are a couple, why are they hiding it? 

Second of all, I cannot let Zeke know about Rochelle until after she has the contract for me to give to him. Had I been thinking with my brain, I would've questioned Zeke way more about his intentions with me and my career.

The more I thought about it, the more my conversation with Monica was making sense. I can't pretend to be Zeke's girlfriend for much longer if I'm going to be a famous singer soon. Also, I can't live in this house, either.

My stomach growled, again. I looked at my phone to see the time. I hopped off the table and left the laundry room. Out of the garage into the hall, I walked to the kitchen.

Jaylei was sitting at the table, going through her phone.

"Good morning," I spoke as I took a seat at the end of the table.

Jaylei looked up from her phone. "Good morning, Jae. You're making Zeke look bad, being down here earlier than him." She grinned as she looked at her phone.

"My stomach won't stop growling," I told her.

"Bridgette just got in, actually. I asked for an omelet." Jaylei yawned, "Excuse me."

Before my memory could bail on me, I sent Monica a text.

Me: I went in this kitchen this morning to see Zeke's brother and Zeke's assistant hugging and laughing. I think they are dating on the low, but remind me of this when I get back. I might forget.

I put my phone down. When I looked at Jaylei, she was smiling at me. Creepy smiling at me.

I smiled back.

I heard Bridgette's voice before I saw her. She walked out the kitchen with a plate in her hand. "Breakfast omelet for you," she told Jaylei.

"Thanks, Bridgette," Jaylei said.

"Good morning, Jamie!"

I waved at her. "Good morning, Bridgette."

"What would you like for breakfast this morning?" She asked me.

"I think I'll have an omelet, too," I pointed at Jaylei.

She was occupied with her phone.

I pretended to be busy on my phone as I waited for my food. Zeke surprised me when he whispered in my ear. "You must be just as excited as I am."

I turned to look at him. He was looking handsome in his all black fit and sunglasses. I said, "I can't wait to get there."

Zeke walked over to Jaylei. "Can you clear the schedule for today. Only leave the meeting with Ricky."

Jaylei said, "Already ahead of you. Ricky is gonna talk your ear off. Have fun!" She took the last bite of her omelet before getting up from the table. "I'm going to my office. Ring me if you need me." And there she goes in her denim attire with the T-strap heels to match. The only thing I wish I had from her was her style.

Zeke sat next to me. "We'll be leaving in twenty minutes. Anything you want to ask me or talk about before the meeting?"

Yes! A lot! I asked, "If everything goes as planned, what can I expect moving forward?"

"The simple answer is a career. The complex answer is a new lifestyle. Also, I think I can find a way for us to continue our relationship even after you are famous."

That's not what I wanted to hear, but before I could debate, Bridgette arrived with my food. Time to eat! As I ate, Zeke told Bridgette to not cook him anything. He only wanted orange juice. Then, Zeke's phone rang. He answered it on the first ring. He stood up from the table and left.

As I chewed my food, I smiled at the thought of a new lifestyle. It's closer than I ever thought it would be.