5. Think About It 🤔

Zeke tried to talk, but I was pulling on the door handle to his car. He caught up with me and unlocked the doors. I sat in the passenger's seat, looking out the window. After a few minutes, I realized we weren't moving. I turned to face him. "Zeke, I want to go home now."

"Can I make my case first?"

I rolled my eyes. "Was this a date or were you trying to feel me out so you could get me to go with you to California? I'm not that type of girl." Thoughts of my past triggered me.

Zeke said, "You have a great voice, and I know that I can get you in places on that alone."

I listened.

"Let's help each other. All your expenses will be on me. That way, you can focus on singing and writing. In return, I need you to be present from recording sessions and business meetings to performances. I need you committed 110 percent."

I looked at my hands. "You don't even know me to do all this."

Zeke replied, "We'll have plenty of time to get to know each other."

"How long will this take?" I asked him.

"As long as it needs to take. When is your apartment's lease up?"

"In three months," I answered him. 

"I'll pay for that, too."

This was sounding way too good to be true. I was hesitant.

Zeke placed his hand on my shoulder. "Jamie, I know what you're thinking."

"How could you possibly know what I'm thinking? I make minimum wage for a living, I don't have a social life, and I have really bad anxiety. When I'm singing and by myself, it just feels like the only thing that can help me get through the day. I thought I'd have it all figured out by now, but no one ever really figures it out unless they're rich." I ranted.

Zeke started the engine. "I'm not changing my mind anytime soon. You have my number."

I loudly exhaled.

"I get it," Zeke spoke, "Do you really want to know why I haven't been involved in the music industry like my dad and my brother? I love music, but I want the control. And just to let you know, being rich doesn't mean I have life all figured out."

The entire drive was silent. I didn't mind it, because I was able to think. The pros were definitely outweighing the cons, but something was still tugging at my heart. Again, it seemed too good to be true. 

Before I could get out the car, Zeke said, "I had a good time, Jamie. If we never see each other or talk to each other, again, I'll never forget about East Grove's talented singer, Jamie Sawyer."

Hearing that made me smile. "Well, I will never forget this day. I'm going to think about it some more. Just give me some time, and I'll let you know." I took off his jacket.

"Fair enough. I can walk you to your door."

"No need. Once I'm inside that gate, it's just me and all my neighbors." I got out the car.

"Good night, Jamie."

"Good night, Zeke." 

Once I made it inside my apartment, I took off my shoes and the majority of my clothes before crashing onto my bed. I was supposed to rest my eyes, but I ended up falling asleep. When I woke up, I had a smile on my face. I just had the most satisfying dream I've ever had. There was no better way to describe it than to write a song about it. At 6:30 in the morning, I was singing and writing in my bed.