108. Fight or Flight 🥊

Monica and I walked through the Rivers' front door while carrying our food. Zeke came in behind us, carrying the duffle bag.

"I know I'm gonna tear this food up," Monica announced.

Zeke and I laughed at her.

Very clearly, I heard a song that I didn't want to hear for the rest of my life.

"Villain! Villain! Villain!"

It was coming from upstairs where Mr. Rivers, Mrs. Rivers, and Zack all stood, watching from a phone.

I glanced at Monica. She bucked her eyes at me.

"What you watching?" Zeke went up the stairs to join his family.

"Son, I'm glad you're here," Zell spoke first. "Zack said he was at this party last night. Someone posted this video, and it went viral. Aja Frost's fanbase is beefing with Jae A.B.'s fanbase on what really happened or something like that." Zell looked at Zack for confirmation.

Zack added, "Somebody posted a 20 second clip of Aja performing her new song. Then, it cuts to Jae's face. Unfortunately, Jae doesn't look too happy. Aja's fans are saying that Jae is hating. Jae's fans are saying the video was edited, and they need the whole video to be released."

"Somebody else was recording," I whispered to Monica.

"Girl, did you miss the part about your fans sticking up for you?" Monica asked me.

I sighed, "I don't like this, Moni."

"Cousin, no matter what - they'll never know that Jae is Jamie. Okay?" She tried to reassure me.

Zeke said, "Monica, let me see your recording from the party."

I hissed as Monica mouthed the word sorry before going up the stairs. She handed her phone to Zeke.

As soon as I heard the Tina Turner song, I was ready to hide. Then I heard myself talk with the crowd as they shouted "Yeah!"

Zell said, "She is a class act. They don't make 'em like that these days."

Did Mr. Rivers just compliment me? As I recalled, Zack and Cathy did tell me that Zell was a fan of mine. I smiled to myself as I continued to listen from downstairs.

My song "Choose" started after I sang a quick acapella. Then, I heard fingers snapping. I looked up to see Zell dancing.

"Dad, stop," Zack and Zeke said in unison.

Zell listened. Why is he such a cute old man? 

"DJ cut the record!" Aja demanded.

"I thought they were going to sing together," Zell continued to watch the video.

Monica turned around and we made eye contact. She moved her lips to ask, "You okay?" 

I shrugged my shoulders. I could've been in my room by now, but my feet wouldn't move. They just couldn't move. I continued to listen to the audio of the video.

"You see that? I knew it!" Zell shouted. "Aja was looking for trouble."

Zack and Zeke said, "Dad."

"Let her off the stage!" Monica shouted.

Zell asked, "You said that, baby?"

Monica nodded her head. "She lost her mind trying to mess with my cousin."

My eyes grew big as I looked at each person's face.

Zell was the only one that didn't look surprised. He chuckled, "I know that's right. In my head, Jae is my niece."