Yivette thought that she was alone until she spotted a boy standing just behind the corner, looking at her. She felt heat rush to her cheeks as she looked at her dirty dress. Timidly, she walked forward.

"Sorry," she said. "But can i have some bread?" she asked.

The boy jumped in shock, then quickly scrambled towards the back, emerging with a loaf of freshly toasted bread.

Yivette grouped around her sack for some coins but realized that she had lost them during her travel. The boy saw it and shook his head.

"No need," his voice was smooth and low. "Come on," he gestured towards a wooden box by the side. "Rest a little."

Richard was still in shock as she obediently sat down, holding the bread as if it was the most precious thing on earth. She looked even more delicate than she had in the dream.

"So, you own this shop?" she asked.

Richard nodded.

"What are you doing here?" he asked curiously. Why would she brave the long journey for nothing? He had never thought that a mere girl could be capable of such a remarkable feat.

The girl blushed just a little. She brushed her hands self-consciously and cleared her throat.

“I…I want to find my parents. I have…have been living by the seaside my whole life and I was lonely..” she trailed off as if afraid.

Richard stared at her. He was remembering the tale the old woman used to tell during festivals. Once upon a time, the queen and king of their kingdom had offended a witch. As a form of punishment, their daughter was banished to the edge of the earth, alone for the rest of her life, with only a dog to care for her. Richard looked at the sand colored dog that was resting at the girl’s feet. It opened one eye and regarded him coolly.

“So, you do know the tale.” A voice rang in his mind.

Richard jumped. The dog just talked.

“Yes.” He replied, through his mind as well.

The dog got up and planted its paws on his knees.

“Then, I suggest that you help my lady. She has been alone this whole time.” He woofed.

“But how?” Richard demanded. “I don’t know who her parents are?”

The dog actually rolled its eyes. “Once upon a time,” he repeated Richard’s thoughts. “the queen and king..”

Oh. Richard finally understood. He turned towards the girl.

“I think I know who your parents are.” He said.

“Really?” the girl dropped her bread.

Richard nodded.

“But first, I think,” he looked at her disheveled state. “You need to rest.”

“I don’t think this will work, Richard.” Yivette plucked at her borrowed skirt anxiously.

It was a week after she had met Richard and he had told her that her parents were actually the king and queen of the kingdom. It was a tale she still refused to believe for it was so far fetched but Richard had told her that there was no harm trying. There was a ball for the end of harvest and Richard had convinced her to go.

“Why not? You must try,” he said, pulling her up the hill.

“But what if I’m not their daughter? Then it’ll be all for nothing!” she whispered.

She had tried so hard not to think about this but she couldn’t. Nothing could hurt her more than losing her parents again.

Richard stopped pulling. He turned around and held her hands encouragingly.

“Listen, Yivette, you have been talked about for years as the daughter the king and queen lost. You must be her. You will be reunited with them.” He said confidently.

Yivette nodded. She could do this. She will see them again.

Richard smiled and continued their journey.

Over the past few weeks, Richard had tried his best to help Yivette learn the ways of the world. She had been excluded for so long that she couldn’t talk to someone without fidgeting or stuttering. It was amazing that she could even talk to him that day. Her dog had disappeared after a few days, and in place, there was a stone statue of it. Yivette never let it out of her sight.

And now, she was bravely facing the king and queen of his kingdom. It was a remarkable feat for a lady and Richard found himself admiring her more and more. He was just about to tell her that when he had found out that they had reached the castle.

The sight of the castle made Yivette more nervous. She let go of Richard’s hand and took quick breaths. Then, holding her head high, she entered it.

It was a terrifying sight at first, with all the splendor and intricate designs on the walls. But after awhile, she grew more confident. Everyone at the ball was masked and no one knew who she was, and all she wanted to do was to find her parents. She rounded the corner and saw the King and Queen. They looked tall and regal, with golden crowns shining on their heads, smiling benevolently at their guests. Yivette frowned, puzzled. She felt nothing, no spark, no connection. Were they really her parents?

“They look splendid, don’t they?” Yivette jumped at the voice of a woman behind her.

“Y-yes, they do.” She stammered.

The woman behind her looked around thirty, with some silver streaks embedded in her thick, black hair. She was beautiful, with brown eyes and a wide smile. She sighed.

“I used to be like that. But a curse ruined my husband and I, costing us our only daughter.” She said sadly.

Yivette’s heart quickened.

“I-I lost my parents too. I haven’t seen anyone since I was young.” Yivette said softly.

She then remembered something, a scene long time ago, so long that she had forgotten about it. It was a dreadful night, full of chaos and terror, then a shower of green sparks and nothing. She looked at the tired lady, and felt the connection. Just then, the castle glowed luminous green and the king and queen transformed into an ugly old witch. She raised her wasted finger and pointed it at Yivette.

“You were not supposed to come back!” she snarled.

Yivette skidded back, afraid.

“But I did, and you have lost.” She screamed.

The witch growled and a green mist extended from her finger towards Yivette. Then, the stone statue of the dog glowed bright red in her pocket. Suddenly, her dog appeared again, and it leaped forward towards the witch. The witch screamed and then, they both disappeared.

“Oh.” Her mother stared at the spot where the witch was standing, then at Yivette. “Oh, oh, oh, you are my daughter! My dear long, lost daughter.”

Yivette felt tears come into her eyes. “Oh, mother,” she cried and ran into her mother’s arms.

Yivette straightened her sewing, stretching her arms. She looked outside the window, reveling in the warmth the sun gave. It has been so long since that happened, and now, she felt so happy. She had found her family, and her new friends.

“Yivette?” her mother knocked on the door.

“Yes, mother?” she jumped up.

The Queen smiled.

“I have an invitation here to a ball that the neighboring Kingdom is throwing for the prince’s birthday. Do you want to go?” she asked.

Yivette nodded. It would be good to have more friends. Richard has been a fantastic friend to her, helping her find her parents, teaching her, and sending her bread sometimes. She had never felt so blessed. She missed her dog though, for it had been her only friend. It had helped her to find her path, and saved her in the end. But now, she could start a new life, with her family and friends.