102. Be Careful ⚠️

Start from the beginning

I plainly said, "She got a donk. I know."

"Zeke's never dated a curvy woman before. Does that sound bad?" She asked me.

"No. I've been called skinny more than I can count." I chewed my food. All these compliments Cathy had for my cousin made me think the food was a bribe.

Cathy continued, "Monica isn't out-of-shape. She has an hourglass figure, and it fits her. Her personality exudes confidence. That may be part of the reason why my son fell for her. Oh, when she talked to me, his eyes never left her. I knew in that moment he cared deeply for her. Can I ask you if Monica has expressed that she's in love with my son?"

I wanted to say, "Ms. Cathy, I barely get to see my cousin. For all I know, they could've eloped and had three kids by now." 

Instead, I said, "Ms. Cathy, I can only go by how favorably she talks about him and how uncomfortable I get around them. They make me want to close my eyes as if I'm watching something I shouldn't be."

Cathy's grinned, "That makes me so happy. I'm finally getting a daughter-in-law... So, how do you feel about Zack?"

I almost stood up and left Cathy outside by herself. I replied, "Zack is definitely not giving you a daughter-in-law anytime soon."

She laughed, but I was serious.

Cathy rhetorically asked, "Wouldn't that be something if he did?" 

I took a sip of the sparkling lemonade.

"Enough of that. Let's talk about you. Are you taking him to court?"

I replied, "My lawyer doesn't see the point without evidence. I'm just gonna perform and leave."

"You just make sure you're never anywhere alone with him. The Rivers are not afraid of him. We will stand behind you all the way. Okay?"

I was glad to hear that. "Thank you, Ms. Cathy."

"Just call me Cathy." She stood to her feet.

I asked, "Cathy, why don't y'all use that tunnel back there?" I pointed behind the green maze.

"How do you know about that?"

"Deonte Way drove me back here, and he went that way."

Cathy arched her brow. "Deonte Denfield?"

I nodded my head.

"Deonte, Zeke, and a few other little boys used to run around here and all of L.A. like a pack of wolves. Deonte was my favorite. He never got into any trouble. The next time he visits, you have to let him know that I'd love to see him."

"I will." I took a bite of my steak.

"Do you like him?"

I nearly choked on my steak.

"He's such a gentleman and so kind. I wish he'd pick better girlfriends. I heard the last one stole his jewelry and tried to say he was robbed." Cathy shook her head. "When I saw you two performing together, I felt the chemistry. I think you and him would make a great couple."

I had to get this conversation back to what I wanted to talk about. "Is it safe to use that tunnel?"

"It's safe. Zell only uses it when he's playing golf or hosting a big party. It's been years, though. But if Zeke and Monica get married, we can definitely host the wedding out here."

This woman was more excited than I was when I got my first paycheck, all $415.82. 

"Well, I'm off to bed. Goodnight, dear." 

"Night!" I waved at her.

She headed back inside the house.

I tried to finish eating outside, but it was just too quiet and creepy. Not even the crickets were chirping. I quickly wrapped up my food and grabbed my drink before going back inside the house. I headed to my bedroom and put the food in the mini fridge. 

Suddenly, my phone vibrated. I picked it up to see Deonte's name on the screen. I answered it. "If it isn't the man that makes everybody happy."

"Is everybody code for you?" He asked me.

"Maybe."

Deonte chuckled, "Is that right?"

I laughed along with him.

Deonte got to the point. "I was calling to finalize our carpool."

"Carpool?"

"Have you changed your mind about performing at the N.Y.E. party?"

"Oh! About that. A.B. won't be joining us," I informed him.

"The less the better. I'll pick you up tomorrow night around 10:30 p.m."

I'm going to ignore his first comment. I said, "Sounds like a plan, because I do not want to be there any longer than I have to be."

"You don't have to worry. No one will be able to get close to you while I'm there. As soon as you finish performing, we'll leave," Deonte continued, "And if you want, we can go somewhere else and hang out."

I playfully rolled my eyes. "I'll let you know about the latter later."

"I look forward to it. Goodnight, pretty lady."

"Goodnight, Deonte." 

He hung up before I did. 

As I prepared for bed, I decided to get on my knees and pray. Tomorrow was going to be a day unlike any other, and I knew I would need a lot of support to get through it. I pray to stay focused on the task at hand. I pray to remember who I am in the face of adversity. I pray to withstand any attacks. 

Instantly, I recalled reading these Bible verses from Ephesians 6:10-12

 10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

With God's help, everything will work out for the better. Father, please strengthen my faith in Jesus' name I pray. Amen.