101. The Ties that Bind ⛓️

Start from the beginning

Several minutes later, I walked out the bathroom to see Cha-Cha and A.B. engaged in a conversation.

"I was seconds away from knocking on that door to check on you."

I looked to my right to see Deonte leaning against the wall. "I'm starting to feel a little sick."

"Cha-Cha isn't perfect. Sometimes, she misses the mark."

I giggled, "It's not the food. It's..." I looked at A.B.

Deonte sighed, "The only thing he got on me is he met you before I did. I shouldn't be helping my competition, but if you really like him, you need to tell him."

"I've told him twice too many times already."

Deonte poked my arm. "You give up too easy. Did I ever tell you how many no's The CRU heard before we got our deal?"

I shook my head.

"Thirteen over the course of five years, and a lot of those record companies said no more than three times. Do you know why we finally got a yes?"

"Do tell." I folded my arms.

Deonte smiled at me. "We didn't quit."

I lightly laughed, "That was a wonderful lesson, but that was for music. Have you ever heard no from someone you liked and wanted to be with?"

He replied, "Yes. It first happened at a famous birthday party. Wait, that was you when we first met."

I pouted, but I admired Deonte's honesty.

He continued, "He's a good dude, Jamie. I just talked to him, and I can tell that he cares a lot about you. You know sometimes there's a reason why a man can't pursue the woman he wants. It can be timing, personal matters, or anything."

"Why are you saying this?" I asked him.

"If I can't be that man in your life, I want it to be someone who is right for you. "

"That doesn't make me feel any better," I admitted.

Deonte pointed to A.B. "Good. Now go talk to him instead of talking to me."

I walked over to A.B.

"Are you okay?" He asked me.

I nodded my head.

Cha-Cha placed a paper bag on the bar. "Here's your to-go plates."

"Thanks, Cha-Cha," I told her.

"It's nothing. I enjoyed your  company. A.B., it was a pleasure meeting you."

A.B. and I said our good-byes before dismissing ourselves. We left the apartment and went to the parking garage where we got in the car. 

"Where to next?" A.B. asked me.

Confused, I asked, "I thought you had to leave?"

A.B. replied as he drove, "I do, but we haven't finished spending the day together."

I smiled as I looked out the window. "Let's get some donuts."

I heard him laugh. "Perfect."

After getting a variety of donuts, A.B. found a park near the Rivers' neighborhood. He parked the car. "Can we talk about this party situation?" He asked me.

I opened the box of donuts. "Umm... okay."

"As much as I don't want you to perform there, I understand this is your choice. But if it's okay with you, I want to hire a few bodyguards to be with you for now on."