77. Listen Up 🍵

Börja om från början

Monica ignored my words and asked, "What else did y'all do today or was that all?"

"We got some milkshakes and went to the little pond. We ending up talking about-- well, I initiated the conversation on relationships. Maybe, it wasn't the right time, but I thought I was making a good move. He basically told me it's either him or my career, because he can't be with someone who is in that world," I recalled.

"What world is that?" Monica asked me.

"The music industry or maybe just the world we live in. A.B. is saved which I've known from the start, but he's different. He really doesn't want to fit in with the ways of the world. He wants to live right, do right, and--"

Monica interrupted me, "What did he say was wrong with you?"

"He--" I thought back to our conversation. "He, umm...He didn't say anything was specifically wrong with me. He just doesn't want to live a public life. I tried to explain that my appearance as Jae A.B. is just a wig and sunglasses, but I'm still Jamie underneath. I just... I don't know."

Monica was nearly finished with her bowl. "If the issue is he doesn't want to date a celebrity, and you're in-a-way a celebrity, then I see his dilemma. You still have some privacy; however, if people find out that Jamie Sawyer is Jae A.B., then all of us get exposed, too. That's why I never put anyone I know on my YouTube channel."

I stated, "But I won't let that happen."

"You won't, but someone else will."

I repeated, "I won't let that happen."

Monica chewed her food. "He didn't say he didn't want to date you. Did he?"

"In so many words..." I told her.

"Sounds like you weren't listening to what he was saying, but instead to what you wanted to hear. Besides, I would've told you that you were wasting your time a long time ago if I thought A.B. didn't like you."

I believe her. It still sucks to be rejected.

She looked at me. "This is just my honest opinion, cousin. A.B. has a lot to lose - more than you - as far as a serious relationship goes. The man is worth 200 million. He has a lot of connections from public officials to general contractors. I would be hesitant, too. I think he's more focused on his reputation. Like you said, he's saved. I'm sure the connections he has knows that. And if he walks in with Jae A.B., the pop singer, people will be like is he saved or is that sage?" Monica laughed at her own joke that I didn't find funny at all.

She took another bite of her food before putting the empty bowl on her ottoman. "I don't know how many times I have to tell you this. I know for sure that A.B. likes you more than a friend, because he text me that you might be mad at him."

I'm starting to think A.B. isn't as annoyed by Monica as I am. "When did he text you?"

Monica chuckled, "When I went to  kitchen to get my food out the microwave, I got a text from him. I just think y'all need to talk. He probably isn't using the right words, but I think you're really not listening to what he's saying."

"And how do you know, Relationship Expert?"

"See!" She pointed at me. "You think I'm attacking you. I'm just trying to be helpful. Maybe, A.B. likes to take things slow like myself or he wants to have a friendship first."

I mumbled, "A friend wouldn't kiss me like he does."

Monica leaned towards me with her ear. "I didn't catch that. What you say there?"

I took a deep breath. "Nothing."

"You and A.B. kissed? Is that why you mad?" 

I got up from the sofa. "I'm going to go lay down."

"Stop thinking about yourself and start having deeper conversations with the man! You might learn to listen to understand instead of listening to respond."

I turned off Monica's bedroom light and got in her bed. "I'm taking a nap!"

"Sweet dreams!"

I went through my phone to see that I had a text from Rochelle. It was in the form of an audio message. I played it.

"Hi Jamie! I'm sorry about getting back to you so late. Yesterday's sad news about Ricky's god daughter along with my sister going into labor had me going. First, I hope you are doing well. Second, I went through all your evidence. As for Zeke's former assistant, Jayleiona Saner, she was using her middle name as her first name. Her first name is Jasmine. Under the name Jasmine Saner - I found a lot of fraudulent activity. She has a degree in Computer Science. She worked in IT for a few years, but there's no criminal history. 

"There was a big lawsuit about five years ago where she promised to help a woman sell her songs. Jasmine did get the songs sold, but she never paid the woman. Jasmine took the credit for the songs and guess who she sold them to? You got it. RiSe Records. The woman sued Jasmine and won. All while the case was going on, Jasmine and Ricky got close and started dating. He ended up hiring her as his assistant. Fast forward to about two years, she gets pregnanct. Ricky denies it. She gets an abortion. Later, she regrets it and gets pregnant on purpose by Ricky. This time she doesn't tell him, but she ends up miscarrying. From there, it seems like she was back to her old ways of robbing Peter to scam Paul. 

"I believe Jasmine Saner is seeking revenge, but I'd be speculating. The main thing is you were right. All hands point to Jasmine when it comes to your song being stolen and sold to RiSe Records. As far as Ricky, I'm not sure if he's involved. Maybe, Anaya is, but we can't prove that. Per your contract, you can sue. When you're ready - just say the word. No need to respond now. We'll talk later."

I really need that nap now more than ever.