74. Mother Knows🤱🏽

Start from the beginning

"That's really sad. I'll pray for her family." A.B. held me close. "Is that why you're back home?"

"I wasn't gonna come back home, because I didn't think I could with my schedule. Leave it to Monica, and now we're here." I looked up at A.B. "Did you tell your mom about me as Jamie or Jae?"

A.B. stated, "I told her about you as Jamie and that we worked together at Uncle Dave's music store. She's going to visit him tomorrow, and I guarantee you he'll ask if she's met you."

"Nooo," I whined as I fell backwards with A.B. holding on to my waist. Oohh! C'mon strength! I stood upright. "Now you have to tell your mom that I'm Jae."

"Actually, I was hoping you would tell her since she's a big fan of yours."

At this moment, I realized that we were rocking side-to-side. I let him go as A.B. released me. I turned around and grabbed the door knob.

"Wait..." A.B. pulled me back by my waist. "We have to plan this or my mom will think I had something to do with it."

I glanced at A.B. with a smirk on my face. "Just when I thought you were too good to be true, you out here lying to your own mother. Mr. Bravos, that woman birthed you."

"Ms. Sawyer, I did not lie. I just didn't tell her everything."

I turned around in his arms. "Did she ask what was my occupation?"

A.B. tried to hide his smile. "She didn't ask about your career. She asked if you were my girl."

"Jamie!" Monica called my name.

A.B. and I quickly separated.

"I'm gonna go out first." I whispered to him before turning off my bedroom light and walking out my room. I closed my bedroom door. "Monica, what do you want?"

She walked towards me. "We're waiting on you and A.B. His mom wants him to say a prayer over the food."

"He's in the bathroom. Let's go to the kitchen." I walked ahead of her.

"Jackie, this food looks and smells delicious. I would love for you to have do a pop-up at my bakery. My customers will love it," Priscilla complimented my mom.

"Thank you so much! You know I used to have my own catering business."

Priscilla added, "I believe you!"

"That's how we met," my stepdad added. "She did great for years, but she wanted to stay-at-home and raise Jamie."

My lips twisted. "Mama, I thought you were forced to close your catering business. I didn't know it was because of me."

"Baby, it was not because of you. I just wanted to make sure you knew me more than your babysitter, grandparents, and anybody else that would watch you." My mom tapped under my chin. "I don't regret my decision one bit."

"Sorry for the hold up," A.B. walked inside the kitchen.

"Perfect timing, Jace. Say the blessing," Priscilla told her son.

We all joined hands and A.B. blessed the food. Afterwards, plates were made and everyone made their way to the living room.

Without realizing it, I was putting food on my plate and A.B.'s plate as he held it.

"A little more chicken and macaroni. More yams and collard greens, too."

I gave A.B. a stern look.

"I can get it myself." He took the tongues out of my hand.

"Where are you eating?"

"Not next to you," A.B. smirked. "I'm joking."

"Right..." I narrowed my eyes at him.