73. Who Is She? 👒

Start from the beginning

Monica asked Zeke, "Do you think it'll be okay if Jamie and I went back home for a few days?"

"Yeah. It would be good for y'all to be around family." Zeke touched Monica's arm. "I'll tell Zaporah to book your flights. Want to leave today or tomorrow?" He asked.

Monica slyly smiled at him. "Tomorrow."

"Today, please!" I answered as I finally walked out of the bedroom. 

Five-long-minutes later, Monica joined me in the kitchen. I leaned against the counter.

"You don't drink coffee anymore?" She stood in front of me.

"I want coffee, but I also want to go home today. My mama sounded so distressed."

Monica said, "Aunt Jackie needed to hear from you that you were okay and she did. She's fine for now. And E just said he'll talk to his assistant about booking our flights. I just have one question, Jamie."

I rolled my eyes.

She asked, "Why do you act so weird when he and I are around you?"

I shrugged my shoulders.

"I told you that E is a friend right now. If it gets serious, you'll be the first to know." Monica began making coffee. "Do you want any creamer in your coffee?"

"Lots of it," I told her.

Monica nudged me. "Cheer up, cousin! We're going back home. We'll be with our family and your man soon."

I smiled as Monica poured two cups of coffee. "Now that I think about it, we're kinda in the same position." She handed me a cup.

I arched my brow. "How so?"

"We both have the opportunity to be in relationships, but we're single. I'm telling you if we're still single by next year, then it's something in our genetics that doesn't align with established men. Should we go on a few dates with other men first?"

I blew my hot coffee before taking a small sip. "I think I just need a mental break."

Five hours later, we were on the plane headed home to East Grove. My stepdad picked us up from the airport.

"Your mom wanted you stay at home, but I told her you already planned to stay with Monica."

I nearly broke my neck when I looked at Monica.

She gave me an innocent look.

"Umm... Daddy, I will visit you and Mama each day that I'm here."

"How long are you here for?" He asked me.

"Until Thursday. I have to get back to Cali to shoot two music videos."

My stepdad drove us to Monica's house where we dropped off our luggage. Then, Monica and I got in her car and followed him home.

"Why did you say that?" I asked my cousin.

"Because you're a grown woman," Monica fussed, "Your parents do not need to know that you'll be spending a lot of time with A.B."

"Monica, what are you trying to pull? A.B. doesn't even know I'm here. I wanted him to enjoy his time with his mom." I looked out the window.

Monica scuffed, "Lately, you've been having a bad attitude. I think you should call A.B. or something, because your mean streak is annoying."

I lightly chuckled, "Annoying? My attitude? Did you forget that a girl died today? Also, I still have work to do. I'm not here on a vacation."

Monica said, "You sound stressssed."

I took a deep breath.

We were silent the rest of the drive while Monica had the radio turned up. My song "Easy" played on one station. When it went off, Monica turned to another station and my song "Choose" was going off. Then, the DJ announced the death of RiSe Records' intern and how no cause of death has been reported. He hoped that everyone would be safe and hug their loved ones. "For a feel good song, here's another Jae A.B. record 'Home.'"

"Jamie, you so famous," Monica squealed.

I grinned, "No, dear, not me. My music is famous."

Jamie snapped her fingers. "Well, we're about to eat real good. I can't wait to see what Aunt Jackie cooked." Monica pulled along the curb of my parents' house. Seeing their house lightened my mood. I guess I really did need to come back home.

My dad walked inside the house first, leaving the door slightly opened for us.

As we walked up the side walk, Monica asked me, "Whose car is that?" She pointed at a black Mercedes Benz.

"Probably one of my mama's friends," I answered.

"Long as she don't eat all my food, I'm good."

We entered the house to hear a lot of laughter. 

"Ay, where the party at?" Monica began dancing as she walked in the living room.

I followed her to see my mom, another woman, and A.B. My heart immediately dropped to my stomach. Why did he look so good? Wait, why was he here?