72. Brain Teaser 🧩

Começar do início

As soon as she got off the screen, I began typing up my evidence. About an hour later, I sent Rochelle an email with everything factual. I closed the laptop as I looked out the window. I really want to get in the pool. I sent Monica a text that she should join me.

After I changed into my swimsuit, I wrapped up in a large towel and made my way to the pool. Before I could step in the water, my phone rang.

I answered it with a bright smile. "You always know the perfect time to call."

"Or maybe you know the perfect time to answer your phone," A.B. said.

I shook my head. "Not true. There are times when I shouldn't answer my phone."

A.B. told me, "Well, I hope you have some good news for me."

I finally stepped into the pool. Surprisingly, it wasn't cold. "I do. I was able to take the rest of the day off. I spoke with Rochelle when I got to the house. She thinks I should get a manager and a personal assistant."

"Is Monica up for the task?" He asked me.

"No, sir. Monica makes way too much money to work for anybody."

A.B. said, "If you are serious about a manager and a personal assistant, make sure you do a thorough background check, run their credit report, and get their job history."

I was instantly reminded that A.B. was a businessman.

"I will do that. You know every time I think I have a legitimate reason for walking away from this..." I threw my arm in the air. "I get good advice that makes the situation better."

A.B. was silent before speaking, "I don't want to give any unsolicited advice. Just let me know when you just want me to listen."

I stated, "A.B., I could never not use advice from you."

He inquired, "Are you looking for advice or are you looking for a way out?"

I sat on the second step of the pool. "Umm... I-I just..." I wanted to be honest, but the way it sounded in my head, I knew it would sound bad.

"Jamie, I never want to push you to do something that you don't want to do. You can tell me what's on your mind."

I sighed as I slightly kicked my feet under the water. "I like the singing and performing parts... everything else I can do without."

"Funny thing is that everything else is what gets you to the singing and performing. The process is just as important, Jamie."

I closed my eyes in bliss. "Ugghhh... it's when you say stuff like that - that gets me." I opened my eyes as I looked up at the clear sky. "Why are you so perfect?" I immediately became aware of what I just said as I held the phone to my ear. "Did I just say that out loud?"

A.B. asked, "Say what?"

I arched my brow. "Did you really hear me or are you pretending like you didn't?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"A.B.!"

He laughed. 

I smacked my lips. "Seriously, though... How would you feel if I stopped singing?" I don't know where that question came from.

"It's not for me to feel anyway about it. It's your dream. I'm just a fan, and I think this will cheer you up if you needed cheering up--"

I asked, "What is it?"

A.B. informed me, "Earlier when I was in the car with my mom, your song came on the radio. She turned up the volume and said 'that's my girl, right there! I love her!' Then, she asked if I knew who you were, like have I listened to your music before. It was hard not to tell her that I knew you as Jamie, but I told her that I was a fan, too.'"

I could not believe my ears. This story was too cute! "I have to meet her, A.B.!"

"If you're not too busy, I'd appreciate it. That way I can tell her that I really do know you."

I lowered my voice, "Technically, I was almost your girlfriend."

"Technically, you had other plans."

I bucked my eyes. "Not true!"

"Your heart said differently," A.B. told me.

I went silent. How would he know my heart? 

"Just like your song - I won't make you choose and I didn't. Your heart was - is for music right now. I won't force anything on you at a time like this. You're getting an experience of a lifetime."

I boldly spoke, "Why have one when you can have both?"

A.B. quickly followed up with, "Because one should be enough."

His comebacks were too quick. "I don't know what type of mental gymnastics we're having here, but I kinda like it."

A.B. said, "I think that's just how you flirt."

I playfully rolled my eyes. "I guess..."

Running straight toward me, Monica jumped in the pool.

"Monica!" She nearly wet my phone as I turned away from the splash she made.

She popped out of the water. "I needed that!"

"Sounds like we'll pick this conversation up later."

I sighed, "Okay. I'll talk to you later."

"Hey, A.B.! When you coming to see your girl?" Monica shouted.

I hushed her.

"Tell Monica I said hi. Bye, Jamie."

"Bye, A.B." I hung up my phone. "He said hi."

Monica sat beside me. "Girl, you better invite him out here before you turn into stone."

"A.B. has already visited me here," I informed her. "And do you really spend all day in Zeke's room when I'm not here?"

"Cousin, I was not in E's room. I was in the kitchen talking to Warren and Bridgette."

"Was Zeke there, too?" I questioned her.

Monica blushed. My cousin was bitten by the love bug, and she wasn't gonna leave his side anytime soon. I blame her exes. 

She grabbed my arm. "I can't believe we are what we said we'd be when we were kids. You said you wanted to be a singer. I said I wanted to be rich."

My brows furrowed, "Girl, you said you wanted to be a stay-at-home wife. I said I wanted to be a songwriter and a singer."

"That's exactly what I said," Monica took a deep breath, wearing a smile. "I think I should move here, too."

The last thing I saw was the water as I sunk to the bottom of the pool. I'd rather swim under  than hear my cousin's crazy talk.