65. Indebted 💸

As Monica and I walked through the Rise Tower building, I looked for an empty room where she could wait for me.

"Can you believe I was able to record eight videos? Girl, I haven't done that in a long time. Good thing is that I have content that I can post over the next three weeks. I gotta find something else to do. Ohh, we're going to New York tomorrow. This is like the best time of my life. If I had known that my cousin was going to be a celebrity, I would've went to assistant school or something, because this is the life!"

I quickly turned to face my cousin. "Monica, I love you, but you're talking too much. I need to mentally prepare for my meeting with Anaya."

Monica smacked her lips. "You could've said it nicely. Where are we going anyway?"

I walked over to a studio and opened the door. It was dark. I turned on the light. "Wait in here. I'll be back in... It shouldn't be no longer than 30 minutes."

Monica walked in the studio as I headed to Anaya's office. When I arrived, Colby was sitting at the front desk.

"Good afternoon, Jae. How are you?" He asked me.

I smiled, "Hi, Colby! I'm doing good. I thought you worked from home?"

"Not today," he informed me. "Ricky will not be in the office for a few weeks, and Anaya's assistant quit yesterday."

"What? Why?"

Colby shrugged, "None of them last. They get in to fit in, and when they meet the right celebrity, they're gone."

"Really? That's crazy." I immediately thought about Jaylei. Things are slowly coming together. I just hope I can put all the puzzle pieces together before I'm next--

"Jae, you're late."

I looked up to see Anaya standing at her office door.

Colby rolled his eyes. "You are not late," he muttered to me.

I smiled as I went to her office.

"Close the door," she directed as she sat down at her desk.

I did as told before taking a seat in front of her.

"Great performance last night. That makes two in a row. After your Good Morning America performance, it's going to be hard for just anyone to book you. I'm impressed, and it's not easy to impress me."

I nodded my head.

"With your rapid success, you could become the new face of not just RiSe Records but the music industry as a whole."

I honestly don't know how to feel about that.

Anaya finally took her eyes off her computer screen to look at me. "I listened to your interview on that radio station this morning, and I didn't like it. Mystery is boring. Mystery is the fastest way to end your career. When you were asked about the rumors that you and Zeke are a couple, you should have said 'that's between me and Zeke.' I have a good guess on what GMA will ask you so I'm going to interview you now, and I want you to deliver." 

I bit my tongue.

She asked, "Your career is taking off. How does it feel to have so much success, so fast?"

"It's amazing," I replied, "I never thought my dream would become a reality, but it's happening."

Anaya asked me, "Speaking of dreams, we've heard you'll be performing at the Grammy's. Can you confirm that?"

I answered, "I can't confirm it, but it's a possibility."

"Since this will be the first red carpet appearance at an award show, do you plan to go alone or take a date?"

I forced a smile. "Honestly, not even I know the answer to that question."

"Try again," Anaya demanded.

I could feel my body heating up as my breathing increased. Was she trying to make me mad? "I'll be there with my man."

Anaya slowly stood up. "I don't know what fairytales you've been reading, but I'm not going to sugarcoat anything. I don't care about your romantic affairs, but once the public starts asking questions it's no longer private. When you don't address the elephant with a solid explanation, it will spread and get out-of-control. Be a smart girl and listen to me."

I was close to getting out my seat and storming out.

"Zeke Rivers can protect you only to a certain point. If you want to remain signed under RiSe Records, keep people talking."

I finally found my voice. "I'm not signed to this label to talk about rumors or my dating life. I'm a singer and a songwriter. That's it!"

"Then you can be an independent artist - happy and broke."

I fired back, "I doubt that."

"Girl, you signed a three million dollar deal. Your bootcamp days are over. If you ever want out of your contract, you'll serve RiSe Records until all debts are paid," Anaya pointed at me.

"I haven't touched one penny," I worked my neck.

She scoffed, "You don't have to swipe a card for it to count. Every time you go in the studio, get your hair and makeup done; shoot a music video, you are spending that money. Your album hasn't been released yet. At this point, you're sitting on a deficit."

I stood up to my feet. "Is this meeting over?"

Anaya smirked, "You're just like the others. You'll either learn your place or get out while you can still show your face. Moving forward, it would be in your best interest to listen to me, not my brother. Maybe in a few years, I'll allow you to have more control."

"Is this meeting over?" I repeated.

"There's the door," Anaya sat down.

I quickly walked out. If I don't find a peace of mind soon, I'm going to go crazy.