61. More to Explore 🗺️

A.B.'s apartment was near Town Hall. The Grove Apartments were very new, and I can tell you none of the college students were living in them. A.B. gave me a tour of his two bedroom apartment. Everything was stainless steal and technologically advanced. This man used his phone to unlock his front door. 

He explained, "I can either go to the app and say 'unlock door' or click on my apartment number. I'll get a code sent to my phone and the door gets unlocked. I mostly do the code one, because I can unlock it from anywhere. Like, if I was somewhere else and you were here, I could use the code to unlock the door for you so you don't have to wait for me."

"That's so cool."

The living room was very spacious along with the kitchen. The refrigerator kept a grocery list like a Stepford Wife. 

"Do you remember the Disney Channel movie Smart House?" I asked him.

A.B. chuckled, "Yeah. It should've been a horror movie."

"I agree."

A.B.'s furniture was minimal and neutral in color. It was fitting for a bachelor. Then, he took me to the bathroom. There were power buttons on the mirror and on the shower door.

"It turns on the light around the mirror so I don't have to turn on the bathroom light if I don't want to. The one on the shower door fogs up the glass so it's not easy to see inside." A.B. pressed the button inside the shower. It flashed red. "That turns on the water, but when it's red it means I'm in the way." A.B. moved to where I stood and the button turned solid green. The water came out the shower head. "It keeps you from getting wet if you're just cleaning or from getting blasted with cold or hot water."

"Wow! I've gotten my hair and my clothes wet too many times not to learn my lesson. Now I just take the shower head down."  

"Right." A.B. pressed the button again and the color was gone.

From there, A.B. showed me his bedroom turned office. His desk was small with two laptops on top. He had a paper shredder, a mini fridge, and an entire dry erase board on wheels. 

"Can I have my meetings in here?" I asked him.

"Anytime you want," he told me.

One wall was covered with a large bookshelf. It had several books on it. "This looks expensive." I pointed at it.

"It was custom made to fit the wall."

"What kind of books do you read?" I asked as I took a closer look.

"There's some biblical and theology books, business books, music books, real estate, investments, stocks, overall financial books, autobiographies and biographies, a few dictionaries..."

As I examined the books, I spotted a poetry book. I picked it up and read the title to myself. It was written by Jace Bravos. I opened the book and the first poem was called: Too Young to Know.

My dad died before I was alive / No, I never met him / No, I never had the choice

My mom cried, because I had his eyes / No, I never saw him / No, I never heard his voice

On my 10th birthday, I wished for him to walk through the door and feel no more pain

On my 13th birthday, I just wanted one picture of him so that I could recognize his face

When I turn 18, I'll be a man and I'll do everything I ever wanted to do

I'll take pictures, record videos, and write letters, too