48. Getting Closer 🫂

Start from the beginning

A.B. commented, "I don't blame you."

We walked side-by-side until we reached the pier. The temperature was cooler here. I leaned on the rail, watching the water. It was an unbelievable view. In our silence, I felt a connection as we looked out at the ocean.

"I can't believe I almost said no to this," I voiced my thoughts.

A.B. spoke, "You never know what you never know."

I glanced at him. "I like that... you never know what you never know."

A.B. explained, "It reminds me of how God can take you places you never thought you'd go, take you through situations you never thought you'd get out of. It's only when you trust in Him that He will show you how it was worth going through all the hardships in order to gain the skills and knowledge that you possess. With God, talent is never wasted."

I could listen to A.B. talk all night and never get tired of him.

He continued, "Like for me, it was easy to say I went to college, met a friend and we invested and sold property together, and therefore, I now work for myself and I can go anywhere I want; do anything I want to do, because I took those actions, but... something's missing." He looked at me.

I added, "It's missing details, the reality. It reminds me of storytelling - that's what I try to do with my songs. It's never easy and simple. There's always some kind of conflict. Our journeys can be emotional and heartbreaking because of failures or unforeseen circumstances just as they can be rewarding, exciting, and successful."

"Exactly," A.B. agreed.

I let my mind speak, "Even in my situation, I had to do something to get something. I went to an audition, and I met Zeke. To tell people I decided to come to L.A. to follow my dreams and now I'm signed to one of the biggest labels would be like false advertising which can only get you so far. This was not a coincidence. I truly believe God made all this possible." 

A.B. glanced at me. "Doing what you and I... and many people have done is not easy, but it gets to a point where your Why has to be solid. The stronger your Why is, the longer you'll be able to withstand. When I look back, I don't know how I went through some of those moments in my life without knowing God. I used to take credit for everything I succeeded in, and I thought I was doing a great job on my own. All I wanted to do was get rich and make more money, but that only drained me. I was stressed out, unhappy, and unmotivated."

I nodded my head.

A.B. said, "It really takes God to give you complete confidence and courage to be able to survive in this world. It takes faith and trust in Him to make it. I didn't realize how close I came to the end had it not been for God covering me. He really got my attention, and I had to humble myself before Him. Now, I have a solid foundation, and I know who made it all possible for me to be alive today... and it wasn't money." He chuckled.

My grinned as I wondered what A.B. went through before he became who he is now. Looking at him, I'd never think he went through anything too severe. "I'm happy God protected you," I told him.

A.B. nodded his head, "I'm glad God protected you, too."

I began to shiver as I wrapped my arms around myself.

"Are you cold?" A.B. asked me.

"A little, but I don't want to leave yet," I confessed.

 "I wish I brought a jacket," A.B. said. "Get closer to me."

Without hesitation, I nearly rammed my shoulder into A.B.'s shoulder. He took a step back. Before I knew it, he was standing behind me with his chest almost against my back. The butterflies in my stomach were having a party.