36. Complicated 🤯

Start from the beginning

Shelly continued, "This is Zeke Rivers and his artist Jamie Sawyer also known as Jae."

We all shook hands before taking our respective seats.

Tom began, "We don't expect the agreement to be accepted right away. Ricky's offer is on the tale for 48 hours." 

"Why so short?" Shelly asked with a smile. "He gave Aja Frost 10 days. Didn't he?"

Tom and Duncan looked at one another. Probably wondering how she knew that. All while I never knew contracts had time limits or is this a Ricky Santana thing?

Zeke whispered to me, "My aunt knows almost everything."

Good to know.

Tom cleared his throat. "I can ask for an extension."

"Thank you," Shelly continued, "Let's see the contract."

Tom opened his folder. "Here are copies of the offer." He gave each of us a copy. "Once both parties are satisfied, the official offer will be signed electronically."

Zeke picked up the contract. I did the same. There were so many words that I never saw used in the same sentences. I flipped through the first page and recognized a few words: two albums, a tour, marketing and promotions.

"Let me know if you have any questions," Tom broke the silence.

"I have several," Shelly held up the contract. "Two pages? And why a 50/50 deal? Zeke discovered her, but he isn't a Ricky Santana with his own label."

Tom informed Shelly, "We were under the impression that Jae was his first artist."

"Don't assume, please. Also, I'm not seeing any concrete numbers. I don't even see any estimates. There's no mention of royalties, either. You are aware of the new Aja Frost song that Jae wrote, correct?"

Tom sighed, "We know about that song. It was shopped to Ricky's team and was given an advance." Tom pulled out another paper and handed it to Shelly.

Zeke looked at the paper with his aunt.

"Ricky didn't tell me about this," Zeke stated as he pulled out his phone.

"Zeke,  hold on." Shelly looked at Tom. "It says Jamie Sawyer is the songwriter and ZREM Incorporated is the producer. Who is ZREM Incorporated? And how much was the advance?"

Tom answered, "ZREM Incorporated was given an Advance of $35,000."

"How much?" I inquired.

Zeke put his hand on my leg as he spoke. "So you paid a thief $35,000?"

"Because of the situation involving the song, Ricky did suggest Aja Frost and Jae re-sing it as a duo. The sooner the offer is accepted, the sooner they can record the song and release it," Tom explained.

"No," Shelly shook her head, "The song shouldn't be playing at all. I can tell you right now that Jamie can get a way better deal than this. I'm shocked that Ricky approved this. We don't need 48 hours. We need you to revise this contract as soon as possible, and then we can move forward. Gentlemen, we thank you for your time. Have a good day. Zeke and Jamie, let's go."

We all got up and left. I held my purse close to my chest as we walked out the office, through the hall way and lobby to the elevator.

Shelly's driver opened her car door that was parked behind the Rivers' car. She pointed at Zeke. "Do not call Ricky just yet. I'll be at your house in a few hours to go over everything. Jamie, it was nice meeting you."

"You, too!" I waved at her.

Maximo helped me inside the Range Rover. Zeke got in behind me. As much as I wanted to start questioning him about what just happened, I didn't.