783

Advice Request
This person wants to know if it's okay for their friend to pursue someone else given the circumstances.

Answered Submission
Hey!

I'm sure your friend must be feeling stuck in such a confusing situation but I'm glad she has a friend like you by her side.

First and foremost, if she wants to date the new person, she should ask that person to wait a bit. Because before she decides to pursue anyone, she should talk to the family members of her fiancé and tell them about her decision. I think this is a very important step. Sure, the family members have no right to stop Emma from a new relationship but I think they have a right to be informed if their family member's supposed to be -in-law (Emma) wanted to not be an -in-law anymore. If Emma isn't interested in her fiancé and wants to pursue someone else, she should talk to her fiancé's family and her own family to cut the engagement off.

Only then should she be allowed to pursue someone else because if she does it without cutting off her previous ties of engagement to another person, then she's not being honest in her current relationship. She needs to cut off everything and then start a new one. If she doesn't cut it off, she's being unfair to her fiancé and their family and towards her new lover too. So, clear the situation of engagement first.

Please advise her to talk to her own family and their family and then proceed to pursue to her new love. We wish the situation becomes easy for her. Good luck!

Thank you,
The Advice Column Team