757

Advice Request
This person wants to go to movies with their friend whom they like but an other classmate is trying to join them.

Answered Submission
Hello,
People inserting themselves into our conversations and life can be very frustrating. Fear not, though. As annoying as it is, it is not a situation you can't handle or we can't advise you on.

Now, your biggest problem here is this guy trying to invite himself to the movies with you. Fortunately for you, there is an easy solution to this. So because you're looking to go see the movie with your friend, that gives you the perfect out. You can simply tell him that you already had plans to go with someone else, and that you were looking forward to hanging out just the two of you, and you don't want to make your friend uncomfortable by inviting someone else who they don't know. Now, since you haven't asked her yet, that could be a little tricky since he knows that, but that's where you have to be a little more firm in your words. It doesn't have to be mean or harsh, but let him know that this time won't work out. I suggest something along the lines of "I'm actually looking forward to hanging out one on one this time, but maybe some other time." That way, it gets the point across without sounding "rude.” Keep in mind, you do not owe him any information you don't want to give him. That is why I suggest keeping it short and sweet.

I hope this helps, love. Good luck asking your friend out, and have fun at the movie! If you ever want or need more advice feel free to reach out.

Stay strong,
The Advice Column Team