771

Advice Request
This person wants to come out.

Answered Submission
Hey!

Coming out as a part of the LGBTQ+ community to homophobic people can be a very intimidating thing, even more so if they're your close family and friends. It often happens that you feel a strong urge to say it out to your parents, other family members, friends that you're a part of that community. And this urge to come out will occur for the next many years and the rest of your life.

Now, I do believe that you should keep it to yourself and should not come out for the time being. This is even more strictly advised if you are a minor or an adult dependent on your parents for financial support and living. In case you're an adult who is earning and can afford a rented place and other basic necessities by yourself, you can feel at ease about coming out. However, if you're not, then you'll have to wait. It's not exactly lying to your parents since they never asked you and you have every right to keep this a secret. Your sexual orientation or gender identity has nothing to do with your parents or anyone else. Hence, you don't have to feel guilty about anything.

I advise you not to come out until you mature more and think it through more. Give yourself some more time to accept yourself.

Thank you,
The Advice Column Team