611

Advice Request
This person wants advice on whether they should get help or not.

Answered Submission
Hey!

It is quite common for people to feel down in the season of winter. This is often termed as "seasonal affective disorder," or SAD. It is a type of depression that usually happens to people who are affected by the season changes or don't get enough sunlight in their day.

If you're like most people with SAD, your slump would have begun around fall, and it would probably continue during the winter months. Don't just think it's "winter blues," however, you should try your best to make your mood steady and be a little happier. It could also be that you're just feeling a little down and don't necessarily have seasonal depression, so please be careful and don't self-diagnose just based off of this.

You should also try to be more physically active. Try to take care of yourself and your body; it always feels good to be taken care of. So shower often, do aromatherapy and smell good scents, exercise a little, do a little yoga, try walking for twenty minutes a day. A healthy diet or a skincare routine also makes you feel good. Drink less alcohol too, if you do partake.

If you still continue to feel down, it is best to seek help from a therapist. It may sound serious and scary at first, but it helps you subconsciously if you know that there is someone who is willing to listen to you and that you have someone to rely on. It isn't a bad idea to get some help at all, so try going to one if you feel down.

Also, I think it is amazing that your family is encouraging you to go to one because most families just disregard such symptoms easily. Try spending more time with them, go to different places with them and have more fun. Treasure the people around you and keep smiling. You're a brave person. You're doing well.

Thank you,
The Advice Column Team