2. Broken Record 🔢

Start from the beginning

"Number 77!"

I immediately stood up and nervously walked over to the man by the stage.

"Stand on the white tape. Wait for the judges to speak. They'll tell you when to start."

I nodded my head as I walked up the steps. My eyes landed on the white tape. My feet seemed to run to it, but my mind said I was walking too slow. I faced the judges. On the far right was Zell Rivers. Next to him was a woman that I'm sure was on a show similar to this years ago. Her name plate read Vanessa Jane. Next to her was a comedian that I recall seeing on SNL. His name plate read Tommy Biggs. Finally, the woman on the far left spoke to me. Her name was Kwatina Lafaye.

"You look like a dancer," Kwatina pointed at me.

"She does," Vanessa agreed.

"Hello. What's your name, and where are you from?" Kwatina asked me.

I cleared my throat. "Hi. My name is Jamie Sawyer. I'm from East Grove. Lived here all my life."

Tommy asked me, "What's your talent?"

"Dancing," Kwatina joked.

Tommy laughed, "No. She looks more like a student-teacher, because her face says 16, but her clothes say 38."

All the judges laughed.

My neck began to twitch. I shook my hands, trying to relax.

"Jamie, what's your talent?" Vanessa asked me.

"Umm, I'm going to sing a song. It's, uh, Brandy's 'Almost Doesn't Count.'"

"Whenever your ready," Zell told me.

I took a deep breath before humming. "Almost made you love me... Almost made you cry..." At first, I was tense. Then, I got into the meaning of the lyrics. I was at the bridge of the song when I realized that I was still singing. I kept going until the last word.

All the judges applauded me.

"That's how you sing a Brandy song!" Tommy exclaimed.

"That was spectacular. Your voice is like a beautiful songbird," Vanessa complemented me.

"Agreed!" Kwatina continued, "If you know how to dance, then you're ready to perform in front of a crowd. I would definitely like to see more of you, Miss Jamie."

"You have the IT-Factor, young lady," Zell told me.

Was this real? It was all good feedback. "My parents played your music all the time when I was a kid." I can't believe that's what came out of my mouth.

"That's why she sounds like that." Tommy looked at Zell.

Zell said, "Tell your parents they did a wonderful job in raising you."

"Thank you. I will." I smiled at him.

"Congratulations, Jamie. We'll see you, again," Vanessa smiled at me.

"And don't forget your dancing shoes!" Kwatina winked at me.

I giggled, "Thank you. Thank you so much." My heart was about to explode out of my chest.

Then, a woman wearing a headset stood next to me. "Follow me, Number 77." We went backstage where several people were working. "Please go out those doors, and you'll be told where to go next."

"Okay." I walked out the doors and down a few steps. A man stood at a podium. "Jamie Sawyer, Number 77. Correct?"

"Yes."

"Your audition was recorded. You will get a cash payment. Please sign here that you accept the payment." He pointed at the tablet.

I signed with my finger. He gave me an envelope and directed me back to the front where the woman at the table sat. I walked over to her and asked, "I just auditioned. Where do I go, now?"

"Did they tell you to come back?"

"The judges said they'd see me again."

The woman shook her head. "It doesn't matter what the judges say. The producers make the decisions. If you didn't get a day or time on when to come back, then you were not selected."

I don't like her attitude. Or did I not like what she said? "But they recorded my audition, and they paid me for it." I showed her the envelope.

"It's a new show. Try next season, if it gets one."

I knew it! I knew this would happen. I knew this would happen to me. I turned on my heels and walked out the building. I jogged to my car and got in the driver's seat. After all these years, I finally took a risk. I put myself out there even though it made me uncomfortable. I guess I'm not as good as I thought I was. Maybe, dreams are just that - dreams. If I stayed in school, I would've had a degree. I wouldn't even be here. I would be rich and happy. 

I opened the envelope and pulled out $200. Wow. I just got half of what I make in a week, in five minutes. There was something else inside the envelope. I took out a piece of paper. I unfolded and read it.

You can really sing. Don't give up. Text your number to (222) 414-8603 
                                                                                                                   - Zeke