When I was sure he was finished, I pressed a kiss to his cheek. ‘I meant what I said Sweetie’ I told him, looking into his dark brown eyes.

I saw relief there, and it just made me love him even more. ‘I’d like to come with you’

He didn’t speak, just kissed me deeply. I answered it with everything I had, with all the love I felt for him as my mind slowly lost focus. That is until my stomach growled loudly, reminding me that I hadn’t had lunch yet.

Nick laughed as I hopped off his lap and headed for the kitchen, ‘Shut up or there won’t be any food for you’

‘You’re making food?’ he asked hopefully, following me into the kitchen.

‘Don’t sound so surprised’ I said dryly as I came to a stop.

‘You know I could make some very sexist jokes right now’ he said as he pressed up against my back.

I continued to stare into the fridge as I supressed a smile. ‘I wouldn’t if I were you’ I replied, my voice betraying none of my amusement.

He just laughed – we both knew I wasn’t being serious – as he traced his fingers up and down my sides. It was distracting to say the least.

‘I feel like a salad’ I thought aloud as I began taking the requisite ingredients out of the fridge.

I grabbed a chopping board and a knife and began chopping the tomatoes.

Nick sat on the counter beside and watched me work. He occasionally reached out to snatch a piece of food from in front of me.

When he had acquired half of the cucumber I’d just finished chopping, I gave up and put the knife down, glaring at his perfectly content face.

He swallowed the last of the cucumber and grinned widely at me, reaching out to ruffle my hair affectionately.

‘Would you like some salad?’ I asked through gritted teeth.

‘Nah’ he yawned, stretching his (well-muscled) arms and showing me a flash of toned stomach.

‘I think I’ll make a sandwich. Salad isn’t really my thing’

I glared at his back once more as he sauntered to the fridge before going back to my salad.

I watched him out of the corner of my eye, half in amazement and half in horror as he layered ham, chicken and turkey onto his sandwich – no wonder we always seemed to run out of food. He reached over, taking lettuce and tomato from my pile to add to the monstrosity in front of him.

I wondered silently at the male capacity to consume any and all food – especially meat. I mean, I liked food as much as the next person (okay, probably more) but still, even I’d have trouble finishing that sandwich off.

Nick noticed me watching him and smiled quickly before heading out to the table with his food.

I finished making my salad as quickly as I could, throwing a dash of balsamic vinegar into the mix to add flavour.

I stepped through into the living room and took my seat opposite Nick at the table. My mouth practically fell open when I saw that he was almost halfway through the sandwich. I hadn’t taken that long in the kitchen, had I?

Deciding to ignore this, I glanced around the room for a moment, my gaze zeroing in on the TV.

‘Wow’