Chapter 719

Gabby's POV: Looking at Matt after I asked him that question, I knew he was thinking about what to say. I was going to say never mind but, before I could he started to answer. "Complete honesty, yes. It's also why I am going to have to ask you to keep the fact I am considering this between us. I don't want people talking me out of it. I mean, I am young so people will think I'm nuts. However...I don't think that at all because it involves protecting your life."

I smiled when he said that before nodding. I then grabbed his hand and smiled at him. "I just wanted to make sure you were doing it for the right reasons." Matt looked at me and nodded. "You mean when it comes to me just wanting sex more often?" I chuckled and looked at me. "Is it rude for me to think that?" Moving to intertwine our fingers as he looked at me, he shook his head. "No. Because it's partially true. Regardless of what I say, we both know it's true."

I chuckled and smiled when he said that before looking at him. "God, we are doing it again. Whenever we get back together...we are like hormonal teenagers." Matt nodded and chuckled. "Remember when we first started dating? I texted you to come to the back of the ambulance?" I nodded and chuckled. "Oh yeah. I told you that you were crazy and that we couldn't do it. But, you convinced me to do it because you said..." We said it together. "Not with that attitude."

We both laughed and then looked at each other. "That reliever paramedic ever find out what we did in the back of the ambo before that call?" I shook my head and then felt him bring my hand to his lips. He then kissed my hand softly before looking at me. "I swear, just being with you again makes all those memories come back so much easier. Before, they were so painful to think about. Heck, I almost thought about selling the apartment when you sent me those papers."

I stared at him, shocked. "Really? What made you stay?" Matt sighed and then looked at me. "I don't know, call it divine intervention but...something stopped me from selling it. Maybe it was the hope that eventually you would come back to Chicago and we could be together again? Pick up right where we left off. I mean, of course in my mind...I was thinking it would be more gradual and not as...expected and forced if you mean." I looked at him. "Wait, did you feel?"

Matt shook his head. "Oh god no. I didn't feel forced at all. Gabby, when I saw you in the hospital all my feelings came flooding back. You really think that being apart made me loose my feelings for you? Not with our history. We went through stuff together that makes us stronger. I mean, we've miscarried a baby, lost our adopted son and almost died. That and the bond we shares goes much deeper. You saved my life in so many ways. Especially when we first started dating."

I nodded and smiled when he said that. "Still think I was cheating when we first starting hanging out more and more." Matt nodded and understood. "Have you talked to Pete since we got back together and got married again?" I shook my head. "I don't feel the need to. I mean, he doesn't need to know about all of our history. He knew it when we broke up that we had this connection we were ignoring. I think it's safe to say I've loved you since my first day at Firehouse 51."

Matt smiled and nodded. "I hate to say this because it makes me such a jerk but, I think I always felt the same way for that long. I know, I shouldn't have had those feelings because I was engaged to another woman but...your heart doesn't choose who you fall in love with. Your head just has to stop you from acting on your feelings." I agreed and nodded before leaning in to kiss him softly. Matt then let go of my hand and moved his hand to my hip.

I smiled as I kissed him slowly before eventually slipping closer into his arms and rolling over to face away from him. Matt then wrapped his arm around me and put his hand on my leg before kissing my back. Tugging the covers up more, I smiled as we held each other close in bed. Matt then decided to continue the conversation regardless of whether we were looking at each other or facing away from each other. Rubbing my side, he smiled while kissing my head.

"And honestly, everything we've gone through in the past few months has just reassured me that my feelings are totally worth all the troubles we go through. You are still here by my side even though I feel like every day, I am putting your health and safety at risk. Between our careers or the fact that your dad hates my guts, you have never decided to leave me for Matteo's safety. That is definitely something that I am so grateful about."

Grabbing Matt's hand, I rubbed it while intertwining our fingers. I then decided to roll over again to nuzzle my head in his so we could look at each other. Turning my head to look up at him, I smiled while he moved his hand to my thigh and stroked it through the covers. "Matt, it's not your fault that people are threatening you. And, I don't want to be anywhere else. Regardless, I want to be there for you. I already lost you once...I can go through that again."

Matt nodded and agreed with me as he moved to rub my arm. "I just wish the word could relax more right now like we are. I mean, sure...we are here because I got kidnapped but, as long as we are together...I don't care where we are." I nodded and smiled when he said that. "So that's why you'd be okay with moving to Puerto Rico?" Matt nodded and smiled. "I think in the future, we should really consider it for Matteo's safety. I know this sounds wrong but, I'm worried."

Looking at him. "Baby, talk to me. What are you worried about?" Matt sighed and looked at me. "Matteo is mixed race. I mean, that has to factor into our decisions when it comes to his safety. And Chicago has the reputation for being the city with the worst gun violence in the United States. I am just starting to wonder if this is the right place for us to eventually raise him with all this political rhetoric around race." I nodded and couldn't help but agree.

"Then again, I also couldn't see us raising him anywhere else Matt. I mean, this is home to us, to our families and it's where our friends are. It's where we've made countless memories as a couple and it's where I hope we make countless memories as a family." Matt nodded and smiled. "My best memories have to be our two impromptu weddings in the courthouse and then in Gaffney Medical Center's Chapel." I smiled when he said that and nodded.

"Just curious, we really going to do what Antonio wants when it comes to a vow renewal?" Matt looked at me and sighed. "Maybe in a few years. Right now, I want to concentrate on our family. That and our jobs. If this is going to be the future for a while, we are going to eventually have to give up the fire department and find new jobs to support our family." I agreed and nodded before smiling at him. "Would we stay in Chicago for these potential jobs though?"