Chapter 661

Matt's POV: Once supper was ready, I served the food to Gabby and Violet on plates. I then went back and grabbed their drinks and gave put them on the table. Only then did I sit down with my plate and drinks. Grabbing Gabby's hand, we were about to eat when I stopped them. "First, maybe we can start doing something before supper Gabby?" Gabby looked at me, confused.

"What is it Matt?" I sighed. "I know I'm not that big on religion but, this is a different time. Maybe, if you don't mind helping...we could pray for the people on the front lines?" Gabby liked the idea and then looked at Violet. "Want to join in Violet?" Violet nodded and grabbed my hand. Gabby then started to pray for us.

"Lord, as we sit here this evening in the safety of our home...we ask you to bless this world and the first responders of the world as we prepare to take on the COVID-19 pandemic. Let your grace be upon us and allow us first responders to do our job in the safest possible way with the least amount of hurt. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen." 

I smiled when she prayed before nodding. I then kissed her softly before grabbing my fork. "Good job." Gabby smiled. "Thanks for recommending that. It can be our new tradition." I nodded. "Anything to keep up the faith in these hard times." Violet smiled. "Just curious Gabby...if you don't mind me asking, are you a religious person?"

Gabby looked at her and nodded. "Yes, my family is from Puerto Rico. We are Spanish Americans and we are Catholics. And believe me when I say this...no matter what your uncle says, he is a big believer in faith." Matt looked at me. "How do you say that?" I smiled at him. "Matt, you're a first responder. You must say a prayer or something in your head before every fire."

I nodded and couldn't deny that. I always do some self-reflection before I enter every fire. Violet then looked at me. "Just curious uncle Matt, why aren't you a firefighter anymore? I heard you moved from Truck to Ambulance?" I looked at her and sighed. "I have problems with my lungs. I've inhaled too much smoke." Violet looked at me, nervous. "Are you going to die?"