Theif

17 year old POV

You walk into a store and look around the food isle. Your stomach growls in hunger and you mentally tell it to shut up. You grab a bag of peanuts and a few of the smaller food items before placing them in your pockets. You also take a bag of fruit snacks that you often get for a little girl who is going hungry as well.

You toss a few items in your backpack and walk up to the counter to purchase a candy bar, a Hershey's bar, with change you found on the sidewalk. That way you don't look suspicious for not buying anything. You soon leave the store and head back to the park where the small blonde girl is waiting for you.

"Y/n!" The 7 year old squeals. This time she has a little boy around her age with her.

"Hi Brooke. Who's this?"

"This is Tommy..he's like us.." she whispers the last part. 'He's like us.' That means that he's homeless, has no parents and is doing everything he can to survive on his own. One day you found Brooke, well she found you. You were eating some food you took and she asked for some. You were more than happy to share with her. Now you have taken her under your wing.

You move from town to town with her to avoid any suspicions about you. "Well..I have some food and water if he needs it.." you tell Brooke. You all sit on the grass and you show them the snack options you grabbed from the store. This wasn't the best way to live..but you were living.

***

You are now the next town over with Brooke and Tommy. They are complaining about being hungry again so you decide to try a convenience store on the corner. "Wait here guys.." you tell them and they obey.

When you get to the isle you start putting food in your backpack but that soon comes to a stop. You feel a grip on you wrist. "Put everything back now or I am call the police. I will not hesitate to do so.." she says. You cry silently to yourself and put everything back on the shelf.

Not only did you let yourself down by getting caught, but also Tommy and Brooke. "Look at me." The person says to you. You look up slowly and the woman becomes shocked. She wasn't expecting a child to be taking things from the store. You glance at her name tag and read the name Rachell.

"Please don't call the police..I'm just trying to feed myself and two other kids outside.." you whimper out as her grip remains strong on your wrist.

She lets go of your arm. "Bring them inside..it's cold and it's almost midnight. I am going to shut down the store but we will talk.." she walks with you to the door.

"Hey..Tommy..Brooke..come inside.." you tell the two kids. Shyly, they look at Rae then step inside. "These are the kids I'm looking after. We are all orphans I guess. I have been taking food for us..I'm sorry." You whisper to the woman.

"Well..why don't I take you back to my apartment. It's about a block away from here and I can get you some food."

"I don't know..I don't want them to get hurt."

"Well you can leave at any point if you feel uncomfortable. And if it makes you feel any better, my roommate is a police officer." She says with a smile.

"Okay..come on guys." You say to Brooke and Tommy. Rae closes up the store for the night and leads you out onto the dark street, only lit by the street lights. Maybe this will be a new safe place for you, Brooke and Tommy.

———————————

I'm running out of ideas ):

-Andy💕