Spelling Bee

9 year old POV

Today was the day of the spelling bee, let's just say you are a little surprised you got here. You were very excited about it. Plus Rae will be there because she won for her class.

You get dressed up nicely and look very well presented. Time to win this spelling bee.

***

The bus ride to school gave you jitters. Suddenly you are nervous for the spelling bee. You have to do this in front of the whole fourth grade. That's a lot of pressure! You get off the bus and walk to your classroom where the teacher takes attendance.

You pick at the breakfast in front of you and soon the announcement is made over the intercom. "Any fourth grade students participating in the spelling bee, please come to the auditorium."

You get up and throw away your breakfast then head to the auditorium. The principal meets with all of you and goes over how the spelling bee will work. It's only you, Rae, and three other kids. Rae holds your hands and looks you in the eyes.

"You will do great, I know you will." She smiles.

"Thanks Rae. You will do great too. I know how much this means to you." Rae is an awesome speller. She has won the spelling bee every year since the first grade. If she wins this she will have the most wins in the school history.

You go up on the stage with her and the other kids and then the fourth grade classes flood into the auditorium. This..is..scary..

***

"Okay Rachell, your word is 'Discover'."

"Discover. D-I-S-C-O-V-E-R. Discover."

"Y/n, your word is 'Camera'."

"Camera. C-A-M-E-R-A. Camera." You state confidentiality.

"Rachell, the word is 'president'." Rae hesitates a few seconds before answering.

"President..p-r-e-s-e-d-e-n-t..President?" She says almost like she's asking a question.

"Rachell that is unfortunately incorrect..y/n, your word is President."

"President. P-r-e-z-I-d-e-n-t. President." You send Rae a small wink and her eyes widen. She knows you can spell President because you just did a project on them.

"That is also incorrect. Rachell, your word is 'captain'."

"Captain, c-a-p-t-a-I-n. Captain."

"Y/n, your word is 'necessary'."  You take a deep breath. You are going to throw this for Rae.

"Necessary. N-e-c-e-s-a-r-y. Necessary."

"Y/n that is incorrect. Your winner for this year's spelling bee is Rachell Hofstetter." Rae gives you a confused look because you have always spelt that word correct when you practiced.

You hug her and whisper, "I did it for you. I know that this is very important and I don't need my teachers to start thinking I'm smart or something..that's too much pressure.."

She giggles and gives you a kiss on the cheek and you turn bright red...well that's new.

——————————

Love you guys,

-Andy💕