Gone

16 year old POV

You walk into school, red eyes and dark circles evident in them. Day three of no sleep. Why did he have to leave? You walk to your class and put your head down on the table.

"Hey y/n." You hear a soft voice and a gentle hand on your back. You look up to see your teacher, Ms.Conners. She looks a little shocked at your appearance at first but then returns to comforting you.

"What.." you ask trying to not make your voice tremble or break.

"I'm going to send you down to guidance. Is that okay?"

"No. I don't want to." You say with more tears falling. The last guidance counselor talked about what you said with other students and it wasn't exactly for others to hear.

"Honey..it's a new guidance counselor. She is very nice I promise. Just give it a shot please?"

You get up and she writes you a pass and you find yourself in the guidance counselor office five minutes later. "Hi. Ms.Connors said she was sending you down. I'm Ms.Hofstetter but all students who come down here call me Rachel." She says. You nod taking in her appearance. She dresses like a student here. No "professional" attire, just plain old leggings and a hoodie. She seems young to be a guidance counselor too. She looks to be at most 24.

"Hi..I'm y/n.." you say looking down at your shoes.

"Well it's wonderful to meet you. You can sit anywhere you would like and we can just talk. You can sit in a normal chair, or a bean bag chair, a swing, or the yoga ball." You choose the bean bag chair without saying anything and she sits in the other one.

"So. Why do you seem so upset? Is everything okay with friends?" She asks. Once again you just nod.

"How about with your teachers? Is the school work too much for you? Your grades seem to have been declining in the past few weeks." She says looking over your grades on her laptop.

"No..it's just that it's been hard to focus these last few weeks."

"Is everything okay it home then? Because a lot of these assignments that are zeros are homework grades." You just stay silent and pull your knees to your chest.

"Honey..do you want to tell me what's wrong?" That's when the tears fall freely and you can't stop them.

You cry and cry for a while. Rae rubs your back comfortingly and you stop crying after thirty minutes. You hug her and she hugs back.

"My parents have been fighting a lot the past few months..my dad just left Friday night. He took all of his things, changed his phone number, and left me a note..I'm still having a hard time understanding why he's gone.." you whisper the last part.

"I'm so sorry to hear that. If you don't want to, you don't have to but do you want to read me the letter?" She asks softly. You pull it out of the bag.

"Good morning my love,

This isn't an easy decision for me. But I just need you to know that I did this so I wouldn't hurt you. I am already gone so please don't try to look for me. Thank you for being an amazing child for me and thank you for teaching me to be a father through all of the ups and downs. I was very young, along with your mother when we had you. Sometimes things just don't work out. I will never forgive your mother for what she has put me through and I will never be able to forgive myself for leaving you. You will need to ask your mother about what she did. It's not my place to say. You will always be on my mind and in my heart. Stay strong like always. Keep smiling that beautiful smile. Take care of yourself and your mother. She may have been wrong but she needs you more than ever after I'm gone. Please do not show her this letter. To her. I love you my precious baby, I'm so sorry for doing this but it is best for everyone. You will hear from me soon. Just be patient. Sending my love,

-Dad"

"Rae..I just don't understand what my mother did..what could she have done to make him leave??"

"I don't know sweetheart..how is your mother holding up?"

"I..I don't know..she's been locking herself in her room, she drinks most of the time. A lot more than before."

"I'm so sorry..no one should ever have to go through this."

"Yeah..at least I got a letter though..not many are fortunate enough to get one explaining why.."

"Yes. But it's still important to have that figure in your life." All you do is nod.

—————————————
*y/n has joined the daddy issues chat*

I can relate lmao

-Andy💕