It's Complicated ✔️

By ambivertreader

They are married, but not a couple. . . They are Husband and Wife, but complete strangers. . . What will happ... More

Author's note
🚨IMPORTANT NOTE❗
Prologue
Chapter 1: Unusual Married Life
Chapter 2: Business deal
Chapter 3: Bestie Therapy
Chapter 4: From Happy to Frustrated
Chapter 5: One Week, Three Meetings
Chapter 6: It's A Deal
Chapter 7: Knights are for princesses
Chapter 8: Nathan's house, not my home.
Chapter 9: You don't like her, because you don't know her!
Chapter 10: Mr.Grey is Mr.Knight's role model
Chapter 11: Change Of Behavior
Chapter 12: Reunion Part 1
Chapter: 13 Reunion Part 2
Chapter: 14 How dare you touch her?
Chapter: 15 Secret Admirer
Chapter: 16 My Boyfriend?
Chapter: 17 Agonizing Memory
Chapter: 18 A New Day
Chapter: 19 Bodyguard
Chapter: 20 Cutie Pie
First Award :)
Chapter: 21 Mrs.Nathan Knight
Chapter: 22 Speechless
Chapter: 23 Bonded By Vows
Chapter: 24 Giant Nanny
Chapter: 25 I've got you
Chapter: 26 I Am Too Good For You
Chapter: 27 First Kiss
Chapter: 28 Acting Differently
Chapter: 29 Your Girlfriend
Author's Note
Chapter: 30 Get Out!
Chapter: 31 My Dead Relationship
Chapter:32 Take Me Away
Chapter: 33 She Left Me
Chapter: 34 She Knows Everything
Chapter: 35 Owen Is Dead
Chapter: 36 Shoot That Bastard
Chapter: 37 You Lost Her Trust
Chapter: 38 They Are Here
Chapter:39 This Is It
Chapter:40 Don't Leave Me
Chapter: 41 Do not die!
Chapter: 42 I Miss You
Chapter: 43 Fifty Shades Of Grey
Chapter:45 We Aim To Please
Chapter: 46 Goodbye
Chapter: 47 Abigail Loved Me
Chapter: 48 Hope and Determination
Chapter: 49 Little Progress
Chapter: 50 Just Ogling You
Chapter: 51 Are you possessed?
Chapter: 52 My Stupidity
Chapter: 53 Feelings Are Imperishable
Chapter: 54 Pure
Chapter: 55 I Love You
Chapter: 56 Queen
Chapter: 57 Trial And Error
Chapter: 58 Valentine's Day
Chapter: 59 I Am Happy
Chapter: 60 Fear
Chapter: 61 I Am Here
Chapter: 62 My Family
Chapter: 63 You Are Bothering Me
Chapter: 64 The Ring
Chapter: 65 Playroom
Chapter: 66 He Is Mine
Chapter: 67 Hash Brownies
Chapter: 68 Our Future
Chapter: 69 My Favorite Cupcake
Chapter: 70 Daddy's Pride
Chapter: 71 I Vow
Epilogue
Thank You!
Special Bonus Chapter: I never trouble her.
Bonus Chapter:1 Kisses
Bonus Chapter:2 Second Home
Bonus Chapter:3 Little Secret
Bonus Chapter:4 Part Of You
Bonus Chapter:5 Baby Mama
One Million Reads!!!
Bonus Chapter:6 Memories
Nominated For Fiction Awards 2019
Fiction Awards 2019
Bonus Chapter:7 You are just jealous.
Bonus Chapter:8 The Shopping
Bonus Chapter: 9 My Abigail
Something Extra
Bonus Chapter: 10 It's Time
Bonus Chapter: 11 Being A Dad
Bonus Chapter: 12 My cute little, Pooper
It's Complicated is now on Inkitt, too.
Bonus Chapter: 13 Pajama Party
Bonus Chapter: 14 I Told You So
Bonus Chapter: 15 Bloody vultures!
Bonus Chapter: 16 Lil Gentleman
New Announcement!
New Story Is Up!
🎊Celebrations Time!🎊
Please Read!
Announcement
It All Started With I Do (New Story)

Chapter: 44 I Have Changed

75.6K 2.8K 245
By ambivertreader

Nathan's POV

" I don't know whether to be grateful or jealous of my own flesh and blood," Hannah's lips stretch widely in a  grin and happy tears floating in her eyes," I bawled my eyes out for her entire month and she didn't even twitch a single muscle and this 9 pounds little human cried and she wakes up from the coma," she laughs and lovingly kiss her sleeping daughter's head.

"I am not surprised though," Adam laughs," whenever she cries she brings the whole house down, it is like she transforms from a cute little kitten to a roaring lioness," he looks at his wife and daughter with an adoring expression.

"Are you okay?"Adam turns to me, as we are waiting outside the room while doctors are running some tests on her, and places his hand on my arm, "You look bit worried?"

"I don't know," I sigh and shake my head," I am happy that she is out of the coma finally, but I am scared," I confess to him.

In the past month, we have become close friends and surprisingly things have improved between me and her family too. Hannah and Natalie both, still, don't leave any chance to insult me. But there is no harshness and bitterness in those taunts, like earlier.

"Scared, why?" he frowns in puzzlement.

"What if she doesn't remember me?" I admit my biggest fear to him.

The warmth in her eyes which I used to feel every time our gaze connected, even if it was for a minute, was completely missing. This is something which is scaring me, despite how I behaved her eyes always used to hold some kind of emotions. Now, there is nothing... they were just blank.  

"I can assure you she definitely remembers you because she has a memory of an elephant," Natalie pipes in, "and moreover, it is nearly next to impossible for her to forget the biggest jerk of her life," she raises her eyebrows and nods.

"You are not helping him," Adam rolls his eyes at her.

"I never intend to," she says in an indifferent tone and shrugs her shoulders. She goes and sits beside Hannah.

Nicolas and Beth rush towards us, their faces beaming with happiness. This is the first time I have seen Nicolas so happy, it is a strange sight for me. 

"Why the hell they are taking so long?" Nicolas grunts, as he paces in front of the door," I want to meet my daughter."

He looks extremely impatient to meet her like he has been waiting here for hours, even though it is just been few minutes since he has arrived

"You are not the only one, who is eager to meet her," Beth shakes her head at him, "Have some patience."

A few moments later doctors come out, some of them leave, but Dr.Brown approaches us.

We all look at him in anticipation, but my heart is hammering against my chest for a different reason.

"Well, there is nothing to worry about," He gives us a reassuring smile," Everything is fine, she is suffering from light pain and breathing issue, which is normal."

"She was a bit taken aback when we informed her that she was in the coma for a month, other than that she took in everything well about her injuries and accident," he informs, "Keep in mind that her body is tired so she needs rest, but for now she is awake and you can meet her."

Thank God, she hasn't lost her memory, but why there was a strange look in her eyes. Maybe I am thinking into this too much, she has just woken up, obviously, she must be shocked.

Nicolas is the first one to rush into the room as soon as the doctor left, Beth trails him after. I wait for everyone to get inside as there is a swirling storm of emotions inside me. I have waited for this moment for so long, but finally, when this moment has arrived I don't know why I am so nervous. Taking a deep breath I step into the room.

Immediately my eyes set on Abigail, feeling of relief spread throughout my heart, seeing her awake. This is the sight which I was longing for. I stand quietly in the corner just observing her, I never knew I could experience absolute bliss by simply watching her.

"Young lady you are grounded for the rest of your life," Nicolas scolds her playfully while Beth helps her to sit, then she hugs her.

"Ok, Dad," she pouts,  her voice sounds slightly scratchy.

"Ok, now my turn," Hannah smiles and sit in place of Beth, "Hi, Auntie Abby," she holds Irene's hand and waves it.

"Hi, baby," Abigail whispers, " Can I?" she looks at Hannah and holds her hands out.

"Here," Hannah places Irene in her waiting arms and wipes her tears.

"She is beautiful," Abigail smiles and keeps eyes on Irene's face," thankfully she looks nothing like you," she teases Hannah making everyone laugh.

She gives Irene back to Hannah as she turns her gaze to Natalie.

"You have disappointed me," she sighs which causes her to wince," I thought you would have dressed me up and had done my makeup and hair, so I could feel like Bella Swan when I wake up."

"Ha. Ha. Ha," Natalie rolls her eyes," Very funny."

"By the way, I did paint your nails twice," she says smugly, then turns serious," You owe me big time, for scaring the shit out of me," she breaks into tears as she goes and hugs Abigail.

"I am fine, now," Abigail pats her back, as she tries to console her," I am okay, Li."

Natalie releases her and wipes her eyes with the back of her hands. She gives her a flying kiss and follows Hannah and Beth outside. Leaving me, Adam and Nicolas in the room. 

Abigail closes her eyes and swallows, then asks," Ben?"

Anger surges through my veins when I hear his name, Adam and Nicolas are also looking infuriated.

"He has been put behind the bars," Nicolas' face hardens," Kidnapping, attempt to murder and murder charges are pressed against him, and he is proved guilty in all of them. He is gone for good."

"Dad, how many guys were present in that room?" her voice sounds even and emotionless.

Nicolas instantly figured what she wants to know as he looks worried.

"We will talk later... you need to rest," Nicolas tries to avoid the question.

"How many, Dad?" she sternly asks as she directly looks into his eyes.

"Eighteen," he closes his eyes and sighs in defeatedly, "All of them were Owen's friends," he clenches his jaw. She doesn't say anything just nods her head.

I suck in a sharp breath when I realize what she is asking about.

"Now, just relax and focus on getting better, okay?" Nicolas kisses her hair," We will be outside if you need anything," he exits the room, clearly looking affected by her question.

Adam looks in my direction and gives me an understanding nod and retires from the room.

Now there is no one in the room except me and her. She still doesn't acknowledge my presence in the room as she is just blankly staring ahead.

Gathering all my strength I walk towards her. There is so much I want to say to her, but when now she is in front of me, my tongue is tied... 

"Abigail," I quietly say as I feel tears welling up in my eyes.

She shifts her gaze to me, again there is no familiarity in them.

*********************************************************************

Abigail's POV

"How are you?" He asks me as he stares into my eyes.

"Good," I reply in a detached tone.

From the moment he entered the room I felt his presence, but the question is what is he even doing here? 

"I know you are upset with me. I have hurt you and broke your trust, but I want you to know that I am really ashamed of myself," he bites his lip," I am sorry... Please forgive me," his voice seems to fill with guilt.

Does his apology mean anything to me? Probably not.

"I did a lot of mistakes, which I truly regret," he tries to hold my hand, but something in my eyes makes him stop from holding it.

He intensely looks into my eyes as if he is trying to search for something... after a moment or two, he tears his gaze away with a defeated expression on his face.

"I have trust issues, especially when it comes to females," he sighs," I was not always like this, you know that I and Ashley share a past, that past made me like this. She betrayed me and left me for someone else when I loved her...or at that time I thought that I loved her." 

"But now I realize that was not love, it was just an infatuation," he looks down and smiles," As now I know what love is... now I understand the true meaning of love," he raises his eyes to meet mine.

"I am sorry about your past," I frown and shake my head, "But what I don't understand is that why are you telling me this? Because I don't think I have anything to do with it," I lightly shrug in indifference.

This might have mattered to me in the past. But now anything he says or does, do not concern me. 

"It has everything to do with you," he runs his hand through his hair in frustration and his tone slightly raised, then he closes his eyes and takes a deep breath," I know you are upset and hurt, and I am sorry, please believe me," he pleads.

"I am not hurt," I answer him truthfully," Because Abigail which used to get hurt is no more," I say in an impassive tone.

It is true, I don't feel anything... physically I am in pain, but emotionally I feel nothing. It is like all emotions are drained out my heart and replaced with numbness.

"Don't say like that," he whispers and shakes his head, his voice sounds pained.

"Listen, I don't have anything to give you. Because I already gave you what you wanted," I look down and frown," If there is anything else which slipped out of my mind then tell me now, so we can get over with this."

Maybe I have given you more than that... Along with other things I have given you a part of me, which I can never get back.

"Perhaps, instead of wasting your time here. You should pursue some other girl who can add more value to your status and brings some hefty fortune with her," I suggest.

His face clearly shows that my words are inflicting pain on him. 

I can't help it, maybe I am being a bitch but I don't care. It is better to be a bitch than to be an emotional fool.

"Abigail, I know you have heard mine and Sharon's conversation that night," he sighs and shakes his head," I won't deny that I haven't planned to deceive you, but that was when I didn't even know you. Because I thought you are also like... Ashley. Even then I never shared your past with her I have just told her that you confided me with your past. I know I should have never said anything to her," he clenches his eyes.

"But when I got a chance to know you, spend time with you that plan was long forgotten," he lightly brushes his fingers against my hand," Everything we shared... every moment between us was true... every moment between us was heartfelt," he locks his gaze with me, his eyes filled with emotions.

"I have changed, you have changed me," he says staring at me intensely.

Just like you have changed me.

"Please give me another chance to prove myself," his eyes brimming with tears," Please, Abigail... I lov-"

"Mr. Nathan Knight, I am feeling exhausted so if you don't mind," I point my hand towards the door," and please make sure to close the door after you leave."

I don't want to hear whatever he has to say, because I am done with him and his lies. He has fooled me in the past, and I will not repeat this mistake again by believing him.

He doesn't say anything, he just looks at me. His jaws flex as he stares at me with an unreadable expression, after a moment he sighs and stands.

"Get some rest, I will leave now," he nods and takes a step away from me.

Then abruptly he turns back and gently presses his lips on my forehead. My eyes widen in surprise. He leans back and lightly chuckles when he notices my surprised expression. 

"I have missed you," he smiles, then he whispers in my ear, "Mrs.Knight."

Before I can say anything he goes outside the room, closing the door behind him, leaving me sitting there dumbfounded.

*********************************************************************

Thank you for reading. If you like this chapter then, please don't forget to vote, comment, or share.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.4K 1.2K 55
Sometimes love will make you bloom. Sometimes it will torn you apart. Some stories will make in history. Some will make someone history. ____________...
14.8K 449 21
"Stay away from me, don't talk to me except if it is about my son or about something very important. And lastly don't fall in love with me" he said "...
478K 17.6K 28
Arranged marriage? In this day and age? Seriously? That's the proposition Elizabeth Westville, a young beautiful heiress, has to face in order to bri...
3.6M 97.7K 67
"Stay away from me I'm not the man for you understand" how did this change to this "I can't live without her", read to figure out this one of a kind...