Chapter 44 ↬ "The goodbye book."

☾ ⋆ ✵ ⋆ ☽

☾ ⋆ ✵ ⋆ ☽

Mia was laying down on her bed reading a book, waiting for her parents to come and kiss her goodnight. As the little girl read, she started to furrow her eyebrows in confusion. This particular children's book was one she borrowed from her school's library. It was titled the "Goodbye Book."

When she was trying to make sense of the story line, her mother knocked on the door and walked in.

"What are you reading?" She titled her head at the cover of the book, "where did you get that?"

"The library at school," Mia replied as she handed it over to Alannah, "I was curious."

Alannah sighed and opened the book, flipping through the pages to analyze, "do you know what this particular goodbye means?"

"Leaving."

"Yes, but leaving for a long, long time," She further explained, "are you confused on why people leave for a long time?"

"They die."

"W-Who told you that?" Alannah widened her eyes, "your teacher?"

"No. Zella told me," Mia shrugged her shoulders, "she picked up a flower from the ground and said "look this flower is dead. And so will we be when we're old. And Mom, Dad, Michelle.."

Alannah chuckled, "of course she did.."

She noticed that the book was explaining the stages of emotional grief, "do you understand how people feel when their friends or family dies?"

"You might get sad, you might get mad, you might not want to eat," Mia grabbed the book and re-read the pages, "You might not want to sleep."

She looked up towards her mother, "they get sad.. And angry."

"Yes and some people will just want to be alone," She pointed at the picture that depicted loneliness, "but you're not alone, Mia. You never will be. There will be people here to help you heal."

Mia flipped through the ending, where the fish going through grief finally become better, "you'll remember all the things you did together. You might feel like talking to someone. Or drawing–"

"With time, once you lose someone, it'll get better," Alannah smiled, "the hard part is only in the beginning."

The little girl sighed, "one day you're going to say goodbye to me too. And Dad."