Chapter 43 ↬ "She was supposed to live."

☾ ⋆ ✵ ⋆ ☽

☾ ⋆ ✵ ⋆ ☽

"Damon."

Caroline walked up through the Salvatore boarding house with an evident frown. Klaus had just called her to inform of Mia's tragic death, as well as her family's fate. She knew that the two were close. And being Damon, it was special for him to connect with a human. Without having compelling them.

He had no idea of what was going on while saving Elena, so he was confused at what Caroline was hinting.

"What?"

"Mia and her family were attacked last night by someone who wanted revenge," She carefully worded the sentence, "Her family's gone. And Mia is too. She's at the Mikaelson mansion if you want to see her."

"What?" Damon asked a little louder this time, "Dead– what do you mean dead? What the hell happened?"

Caroline sighed. The brims of her eyes started to fill up with tears, "Dead as in killed. Her boyfriend Sage has been planning it for awhile. There wasn't anything we could've done, we all had our hands tied–"

"NO ONE came to save her?" His heightened anger began bursting, "what about you or Tyler? You had plans to skip town, you didn't have time to save her?"

"We didn't know that her boyfriend was plotting to massacre the same night," She didn't want to hear any of his guilt-tripping, "I just dropped by on my way to their home. Are you coming?"

He needed a few minutes to recollect himself. A few days ago, they were taking a road trip together and she was laying down on the hotel floor, smiling. Now that girl was gone.

"Coming," Damon mustered courage to face her.

Elena, who was staying at the boarding house for protection, overhead them leaving. She emerged out from the hallway, "where are you guys going?"

Caroline and Damon exchanged worrisome glances. Mia wasn't too fond of her, yet she still continued to save Elena, so they weren't too sure of what to say.

"Mia– um– she was killed," Caroline forced herself to say announce the news again, "While we were fighting for our lives, so was she."

"What?" Elena looked towards Damon for confirmation, "is this true?"

"I'm going with Caroline to see her," He pointed his finger at Elena, "All offense– stay behind."

"No," She attempted to follow her friends, "Look– Mia and I had some ups and downs. And I know I've exchanged awful words about her, but that doesn't mean I'm happy about her dying. I'm grateful for everything she's done."

"Yeah," Damon scoffed, "now that she's dead."

"Who's dead?" Stefan walked through the front door with hesitancy, "what are we talking about here?"