Chapter 17 ↬ "Home sweet home."

☾ ⋆ ✵ ⋆ ☽

☾ ⋆ ✵ ⋆ ☽

"Can you just invite me in?"

Kara stood at the front of the door while Danielle, Michelle, and Zella all stood inside.

"Look, I have no idea what I did−"

"Actually you do," Danielle cut her off, "And you have some major explaining to do."

Kara furrowed her eyebrows, "who am I to take orders from a little−"

Danielle lifted up her hand, causing Kara to clutch her head for a few seconds. She soon straightened her back and sighed. She looked over at Michelle, who had a mixture of fear and confidence written over her face.

"Now I have an idea.. " Kara trailed off, causing Zella and Danielle to exchange looks.

"Whatever Michelle said was true. I'm not your sister, though I am related to you," Kara started, "I'm Mia's doppelgänger. I've been alive for the last couple hundred years."

It felt like she had been repeating that same line more than she had to.

"Why are you with us, then?" Zella asked.

Kara paused, "I think I might explain better if you invite me in."

All eyes were on Zella, since they handed the ownership of the house to her. The werewolf let out small sigh before gesturing her arm.

"Come in."

Mia walked inside the apartment. Every step she took closer made her want to turn around and run away.

The dust covered room was filled with a dozen dead bodies, well, skeletons now. She saw some bugs crawling over them from the cracked corners of the building. The clothing that was still on them made her feel physically weak— they all had dresses or tuxedos on, which meant they were regular people wanting to go out for the night.

Klaus followed slowly behind her, watching her reaction. Mia kept a straight face even if she wanted to burst into tears at that very moment.

"What is this?"

"Well.. this is your apartment, of course. Home sweet home−"

"Why are there bodies here?"

Klaus walked closer to the skeletons to get a better view, "blood bags didn't exists back then− and if they did then it was quite the job to get some. You told me that you'd compel your food to arrive at your apartment so you would have a fresh meal every night. And then you left Chicago, but the compulsion stayed."