Chapter 37 ↬ "More than a friend."

Start from the beginning

"Which should I go with?" Kara picked up a sample of blueberry jam on a cracker, holding it up to feed Kol, "blueberries or strawberries?"

He was hesitant, but he reluctantly allowed her too. He was almost too flustered to answer, "definitely strawberries."

"I could use leftovers to make cookies too," Kara mumbled to herself and nodded. The basket was beginning to fill with various foods, it looked too heavy for her.

Without a word, Kol took the basket away, and held it for the rest of the night. Kara was surprised at the sudden gesture, but when she saw how shy he looked, she smiled to herself.

"Beautiful flowers.." Kara awed at the flower stand on their way back. She wanted a second to admire them, "growing flowers takes a lot of work. These get chosen for festivals and balls.."

"You like flowers?" Kol noticed how she would pick little flowers sometimes, braiding them into her hair for the day.

"I have always wanted my own flower shop. Women cannot work, my father says, but I wish to have one," Kara stared at the bouquets sadly, "my brother would get me flowers every day when he came home. It is a term of endearment to me.. Receiving flowers is the same as saying I love you."

Kol watched and listened as Kara talked. He didn't notice this before.. He didn't know why, but tonight she looked beautiful. Even more than any other women he had seen in his life, he wasn't much of a romantic either, therefore he didn't understand what he was feeling.

"Oh!" Kara turned to leave, but she almost bumped into a little kid in her way.

They could tell he didn't have much as his clothes were torn and he had ripped woven bag to carry his groceries. He was staring intensely at the flowers, wanting to get them but knowing he couldn't.

"Which ones do you like?" Kara asked him softly, bending down to his level to hear him better, "are they for you?"

"My sister is sick," he looked at her sadly, "she is sick and she is bed ridden. She cannot go outside.. I want to bring them for her.."

His voice got quieter after the last part, he began to mumble. Kara's heart grew heavy, she was reminded of her own brother, and she insisted to buy the flowers for the young boy.

"Anything your sister would like," she nodded, "would you like a piece of advice? This one right here— it is a symbol of good luck. Let this rest under your pillow and it will..."

Kol again listened while Kara was talking to the little boy, she had acquired great knowledge about flowers and their origins. She mentioned she would sometimes study in their library when her father wasn't home, a little detail that Kol found interesting.

He was experiencing genuine kindness in front of eyes, a kindness that he never seen before. Being stuck in a coffin for years isolated him from the good in the world. He didn't know such good could exist in one person.

Kol snapped out from his pondering, "kind, empathetic, generous– every characteristic opposite of what Elijah says she is now."

He got up and pushed in his chair, "I'd hope somewhere she's still in there."

Mia raised an eyebrow, "where are you going?"

"Work," Kol winked and made his way out of the house. She shrugged her shoulders, got up to wash the dishes, and saw Klaus sitting by himself in the living room.

Mia took a seat next to him, "what's going on?"

In between the secret discussions of Klaus and Kol, alongside Rebekah being gone for the whole day, she knew something was wrong.