Chapter 20: Confessions

Start from the beginning

“I’m a doctor,” he replied indignantly.

“It’s not up for discussion, doctor,” Lucian stated finally, making doctor sound like a curse word.

The doctor fell silent.

“Why are there so many people here?”  She asked, looking around.

“People were worried when you just disappeared from your bed,” Lucian told her, giving her an accusing stare.  She grinned.

Josh appeared out of the crowd, “So over-using your power knocks you out for a while?”  He grinned.

Edana rolled her eyes and moved to give him a hug.

“Well I guess it just makes your training all the more important,” a voice spoke up.  She turned to see Edwin smiling kindly at her.

Suddenly, in a wave of nausea, she remembered one of the things she had accidently seen before Lucian had whisked her out of the mansion.  She backed away, her face a picture of disgust.

He looked at her worriedly, “Edana, are you okay?”

“Oh, I’m just peachy,” she ground out angrily.  She hadn’t yet been able to take out her frustrations, so her temper was already closer to the surface than usual, and this asshole was about one word away from having his head ripped off.  “Probably can’t say the same for the girl locked up in your room now can we?”

His eyes widened in shock, “Wha – what?”

Everyone’s eyes darted between Edana and Edwin, no longer able to follow the conversation.

“You heard me.”  She glared at him.

“Edana, what’s going on?  What are you talking about?”  Lucian asked.

“Nothing, nothing, she’s talking about nothing!  Obviously still a bit shaken up from yesterday, maybe she does need a doctor after all,” he rushed out.

Nobody was buying it.

“Edana?”  Lucian asked, turning to face her.

“It looks like you drugging me was good for one thing,” she started heatedly.  “Last night, before you carried me out, I saw a whole bunch of things, and I was in so much pain at the time I wasn’t really paying attention, but I remember now.  This dickhead has a human girl locked in his room!  He’s been raping and abusing her for weeks!”  She shouted.

“What?!”  Lucian roared, rounding on Edwin.  “Is this true?”

Edwin looked between Edana and Lucian, and then, realising there was no way out of this, he finally gave in to the inevitable.  He straightened himself, making him appear even taller than Edana originally thought, and his frightened expression turned to one of sadistic humour.  “Yes,” he answered simply.

Edana snapped.  She snarled in anger and charged, attacking every inch of him she could reach.  He yelled in pain, trying to fend her off but she was relentless.  How dare he hurt a poor, innocent child like that?!  She felt him pushing at her mind but she slammed down on him so fast his head was physically knocked back from the blow.  She finally a landed a perfect right-hook to his temple and he collapsed instantly.

Lucian wrapped his arms around her waist, trying to calm her down.  It worked somewhat: she felt the blind rage she had been in moments ago drain away from her as she sank into his embrace.

“What the hell is going on here?”  The voice of Prince Gabriel sounded throughout the room.

“Edana discovered an illegal hostage, father,” Lucian explained.