"You're going to break his heart, but still try to be there for him."

-Mark's POV-

The morning was too beautiful to have me do something this ugly.

It seemed to be taking forever for Hunter to get to the park today. I had texted him at least five times, and each time another text reply back with apologies that he was just running late. Jack and I had promised each other not to check in, and he had told me to take all the time I needed after everything was over to get back home. Every noise I heard had me check for a flash of dark red hair or curious dimpled face.

Breathe, Mark. Just breathe. You can do this.

"Fishbowl?" came a soft voice from behind me.

I jumped almost out of my skin as if he had shouted, and his eyebrows raised up towards his hairline at my reaction as he moved towards the same bench where he kissed me less than a week ago.

"You're jumpy today. Too much coffee?"

I chuckled stiffly and shook my head.

"Just really nervous, I guess. Thanks for meeting with me on such short notice."

He smiled and nodded as he sat down beside me.

"Of course. I'm glad that you're finally ready to talk about everything."

I exhaled deeply, and looked into the handsome face. It would have helped if he wasn't looking exceptionally great today. His dark wavy red hair was brushed back, and just the smallest amount of five o'clock shadow appeared on the strong jawline and dimpled cheeks. His green eyes, which were always striking, hit the morning light in a way that highlighted the dark specks of blue in the irises. The slightly red lips were tense as he watched me intently, looking like he wanted to ask a question but waiting for me to start to speak first.

His large hands were placed on the top of his toned legs. Today he was wearing dark blue jeans and a dark red shirt, which matched his hair almost too perfectly.

"I've been thinking a lot about what you said the other day," I began, "about feeling stuck. I can't imagine how that must feel."

I turned to look at him, but his face was unreadable.

"I want to apologize for taking so long to talk to you," I continued. "I shouldn't have done that to you, Hunter."

My heart twisted as he looked at me almost too kindly as he placed his large hand on top of mine and squeezed. The corners of his mouth turned upward for the fleetest of moments before he moved his hand back to rest on this own leg again.

Mark, just do it. No delaying. Just fucking do it.

"I can't date you, Hunter. I'm sorry."

The words came out so fast the it seemed to take a moment for them to register on his face, but when they did, I could almost feel him recoil from me in a calm type of confusion. There was silence between us as I waited for a reaction of some sort from him at all.

"I care about you a lot," I continued, pushing the words along as clearly as I could. "You are a wonderful person, and I think that you'll make whomever you end up with very happy, but I'm in love with Jack. Deeply in love with him."

He still said nothing and I began to panic inside. I wasn't expecting him to shout or throw things. That was never his style, but I wasn't expecting this.

"And before you ask," I pushed on, "Even if I wasn't with Jack still couldn't date you. There is just too much in...the past between us was really painful. And I can't give you what you need."

"Are you talking about the underwear again?"

The question caught me off guard. His face turned to mine as he narrowed his eyes.