Hear Me || Hinata Shouyou

Reader is deaf and Hinata has no idea.

Requested by jazzeypl

It was overwhelming for me when I first attended Karasuno - it was a normal high school where normal people studied and where normal people graduated after 3 years. This was what I chose and I nearly back out.

To some people, I seemed normal but actually I could not hear. I was born deaf. I was in a special school for deaf people in my junior high year when I asked permission from my parents that I wanted to be in a normal high school so I can experience new things. New beginning. New atmosphere. They were reluctant at first but the look on my face showed I was serious. I was never going to go through my teenage life in a special school where I can do other things I'm able to do outside of my miserable life (aka disability).

So, I got my first hearing aid in my first year of high school. It was a bit uncomfortable having something sticking in your ear for 24 hours but after I got used to it, I was able to hear a bit of things like muffled talks, whistling, or car honking.

When I walked through Karasuno, I was overwhelmed by how teenagers sounded; so mature but some still have their baby voices. Or that's what I thought it was. Anyway, I followed the students anyway in case I lost myself around the compound and stored my shoes at the rack. Since a newbie like me just arrived, they didn't provide lockers for me yet. I grabbed the indoor shoes and put them on. I looked around and no one even knew I was a newcomer. I may have blend in easily but I was different. My features are different than any Japanese girls here. I don't look cute; in fact, I looked too mature for my age.

I hurriedly followed the crowd into a hall where the principal announced our arrival. I could only hear a bit of what the principal said but at least I was able to, for now. After the assembly, I was assigned to class 1-1. It was easy to find, considering it was next to stairs where I came from. As I approached, a young boy walked out bumping into me by accident.

I was caught off guard so I stepped back and hit a hard chest behind me. I gasped.

The boy that bumped into me looked horrified and blabbered an apology to me before looking at the person behind me, the orange haired boy glaring at them. He said something that goes along with '.... your face looks ugly' and before I knew it, he was chased by someone that stood behind me. I only caught a glimpse of raven hair and that was it. I shrugged to myself before walking into my class.

As expected, everyone's reaction was mixed with worry and (some) disgust when I told them I was deaf by writing on the blackboard. Some tried to ask me questions but it was not serious when they ended up laughing as they did so. Probably because I can't hear what they asked. I only could read 'you must be stupid if you can't hear' from their lips and I wrote down 'It's bad to call a person with a disability stupid. I can be smarter than you, so don't end up crying to your mom for pity.'

Their reactions were priceless I ended up snickering. Or that's what I thought I did. I sat myself down next to a friendly girl who named herself as Naomi but she preferred to be called Nao. She wrote to me most of the time and she didn't mind.

A week later I was blending in with (some) my schoolmates and surprisingly they don't tease deaf people much. But when some do, I wouldn't be bothered. To me, if I don't hear their insults, the arrow (insult) wouldn't aim at me; it'd miss.

'How do you like it here so far? It's been a week,' Nao wrote to me during lunch break.

I gave her two thumbs up and her face brightened. She wrote again. 'That's great! Proud of you. You should teach me how to do sign language. My hands are killing me.' She pouted.

I nodded, agreeing to teach her one day which excites her.

While I busied myself with my bento, Nao was staring at something or someone beside me. Curiously, I looked at where she was looking and I nearly jumped out of my seat when Hinata, the boy who bumped into me, stood there talking to me! I cocked my head, confused, when he stopped talking and just stared at me. For what? No idea.

I blinked multiple times and that's when I heard Nao's muffled voice telling Hinata, "Hinata-kun, you do know (f/n)-chan is deaf, right? She can't hear you." Was what I managed to hear before apologetically looked at Hinata.

Hinata looked red and bowed at me, "I'm sorry! Please forget what I said! I mean, Naomi-san can tell you what I just said but forget about it after that! Okay, bye!" He increased the volume of his voice and ran off like a cheetah leaving me way confused than before. I glanced at Naomi and I swore I saw her smiling so evilly at where he ran off to.

I only moved my head upwards with a curious look and Naomi only wrote down, 'Looks like someone got a crush on you, (f/n)-chan.' then she drew a small heart next to it. Naomi winked after that.

Extended Ending

'Will you be here after I finish practice?' He signed to me.

'Of course. I want to see you guiding your juniors, after all,' I signed back before hugging his well-built figure. He hugged me back and kissed my head. He released the hug and smiled softly at me before jogging to his team.

As cliche as it sounds, Hinata confessed he liked me in our first year and of course I was reluctant to accept it not because of how he is; it was mainly because of my disability that made me insecure. But he assured that he would help me in any way and in the end, I accepted his confession during my birthday. He was thrilled, honestly, and boy he was good in kissing? Is that a question? Let me correct that - he is damn good in kissing. Don't ask me how he is on bed; we haven't gone that far... yet.

Now, Hinata and I are in our second-year. Juniors began piling up after their final game a year ago and Karasuno became a powerhouse since then. The previous third-years graduated and now the new third-years (who were second-years a year ago) became seniors. Tanaka and Nishinoya were proud of that label, to be honest, and it was too funny. I became closer with Yachi who grew her hair longer than it used to be and she became the prettiest volleyball manager. One of the main reason how junior boys piled up.

I was disturbed while daydreaming when a huge body embraced me from behind. Judging by the fluffy hair and playboy + sweaty scent, I cuddled myself into his hug and nuzzled my nose onto his cheek causing him to giggle.

He signed, 'We finished early. Wanna head home?'

'Yeah,' I signed and yawned while at it. 'Carry me home?' I did my puppy look.

He jokingly gave a disturbed look. 'Last time I carried you home, you drooled on me. Literally.'

'I can't help it when you're getting hotter everyday.' I winked before hopping onto his back. Wrapping my arms around his neck, I said three words in his ear, "I love you, Shoyo." and rested my head on his back below the nape. I felt him squeeze my thighs as a reassuring message that he loves me too and walked back home. With me on his back.

~*~*~

I felt like that took a long time. But I hope you like it, though. Sorry if it's not up to your expectations and forgive me for non-professional writing. I felt like I wrote less better than a 14 year old can do.