Ushijima Wakatoshi (2)

You tapped your foot against the floor while looking back and forth at your watch. Ushijima was supposed to pick up your daughter from your house but he was half an hour late. You were starting to be impatient but Ushijima never uses an excuse to get away so you waited for another hour.

You and Ushijima divorced 5 months ago. Ever since Ushijima started accepting projects from different companies, he began to neglect your daughter and you. The marriage wasn't working and you can't stand it anymore so you asked for a divorce. Ushijima was shocked. He didn't expect you to give up your marriage like that. But when he saw how broken you were, he knew he had to let you go. So he agreed without showing his true emotions and you left the house 3 days later.

Living alone in an apartment not from your daughter's school, it was peaceful and fresh unlike in Ushijima's residence. It was chaotic and everywhere was filled with files and papers. All you see in his house were prizes from the events he joined hosted by his company and paper files on his desk table. There were only a few pictures of his daughter and you but that didn't matter to you. All you could think about is how will he love his daughter? Will he ever forget his work for one day and spend more time with her? She is only 14 but she isn't dense to whatever happens to your marriage. She knew you and her father divorced; she was devastated but she kept quiet about it.

"Hey, mom.." Emma, your daughter, came into the room. "Where's dad? It's been an hour."

"I'm sorry, honey. He's coming. He's just late, probably by his work." You tried to explain but the look on Emma's face said something.

"He's always like this," She whined, plopping on the sofa next to you. "He focused on work more than me. Maybe daddy doesn't love me anymore."

You frowned, "Your daddy loves you so much, Emma-chan. He just have a hard time saying it out loud, that's all. Don't you ever say that. He's going to be really sad."

Emma turned to you, "Mom, I don't want to follow daddy anymore. Every time I stay over his house, he always look at papers and talks on the phone. He never asked about my day. Please, mom. I want to stay with you."

"But he always comes to pick you up, honey.."

"Yeah but what if you didn't remind him in the first place? Will he still pick me up?"

And you knew that those words that come out from a 14 year old were true.

- - -

Ushijima arrived 2 hours later while he was the phone and knocked the door.

"I'm sorry, Tendou. I can't go this Saturday. My daughter wanted to go swimming and I promised I would bring her there." He said on the phone.

"Seriously? But our boss wanted to meet you and-" The door opened and you appeared, your arms crossed.

"Sorry, Tendou. I need to go," Ushijima hung up before Tendou could say another word. He faced you. "Hey.. where's Emma?"

"Umm, Toshi. I need to talk to you.."

"Yeah sure but can I come in for a bit? It's cold out here." He shivered and you felt bad so you let him in. He removed his beanie and coat, leaving him in his sweater you had for him for Christmas. "So what is it? You look serious."

"Have I always been like this?" You sarcastically said. "It's about Emma... she doesn't want to come with you anymore. She's upstairs unpacking her backpack already."

Ushijima's heart beat felt like stopping. "Wh-What? What are you talking about?"

"Toshi, I tried to convince her to come with you but all she said about you was you overworked yourself and you never asked how her day was. She feels neglected, Toshi. She loves you but she doesn't feel like her father feels the same way."

Ushijima shook his head, his gaze facing down. "I... I didn't mean to make her feel that way, (Name)."

"I know and she said if you want to talk to her, go upstairs and say the magic word." You said, hiding a teasing smile.

Ushijima didn't get it and tilt his head, "What magic word?"

You mentally face-palmed and patted his shoulder comfortingly, tugging him a bit and push him towards the stairs. "Just go and talk to your daughter. I'll be down here."

"(Name), you know I can't..."

"This is why I divorced you in the first place. Now go." You pushed him more.

He emotionlessly glared at you. "Ouch, (Name). That was harsh."

"Go!"

- - -

"Well?" Ushijima walked down after an hour talking with your daughter. "What did she say?"

"(Name)... she got that evil side from you," was all he said before his shoulders slouched and walked out, followed behind him is Emma skipping down the stairs with her back pack again. She was smiling rather evilly yet innocent.

"Emma, what did you do?" You said in a fake scolding manner.

She shrugged her shoulders, "I only said if he does not pay attention to me, I'd put permanent make-up on his face and he'll have to suffer working with it."

"There's no such thing as permanent make-up."

Emma winked, "But he doesn't know that," She went to kiss your cheek. "Bye, mommy! I'll see you this weekend!" She waved and left with Ushijima.

You shook your head and head inside.