Yamaguchi Tadashi (1)

[Name]'s height was average - no one is too tall for her, no one is too short for her. but because of her 'average' height, she was a bit too tall for a first year. while half of the girls in karasuno were 140cm - 160cm, [Name] was more than 165cm and she had to look a little down to her fellow classmates.

"you're so tall, [Name]-chan. are you sure you're Japanese?" one of her classmates asked her.

"but at least yamaguchi-kun won't feel troubled when he's with her, though. I can never imagine myself with tall guys but," her classmate's eyes started sparkling while her friends sweatdropped in the background. "they're so handsome and cool; I can't help myself but feel glad to be short!"

her friend laughed. "jeez, [random girl's name]-chan."

"please consider [Name]-chan's feelings; I bet she wished to be short. can you imagine yamaguchi-kun carrying her and lifting her off the ground while kissing her? kyaaaa I'm going to die."

"y-you're not considering my feelings at all, [random girl's name #2]." [Name] sweatdropped.

she puffed out her cheeks. "[Name]-chaaaan, I want to have a boyfriend like you! you're so pretty and noticeable; of course someone like yamaguchi-kun would like you."

"eh?"

[random girl's name] hits your back lightly. "you know, if you liked tsukishima-kun before and you're only making friends with yamaguchi-kun to get close with tsukishima-kun, I'd kill you."

"b-but..."

"pfft, who would like tsukishima-kun, anyway? he's a heartbreaker. I've confessed to him once..."

that day went long than [Name] anticipated.

* * *

yamaguchi's girlfriend went to the gym after school. as a sweet girlfriend, - who can't cook for herself except instant noodles - she went to 7 Eleven to buy some snacks and take-outs from a nearby diner. you got him a fish and chips since he likes french fries. to someone like yamaguchi, you'd think he would something healthier but not saying french fries aren't healthy - it's only too simple.

it was nighttime when the boys are in the middle of their practice. [Name] arrived after and greeted the manager, coach and advisor.

"you'd come, like, twice a week, [Surname]-san. why not come more often?" ukai asked the first-year. "It'd be easier if you assigned as vice manager. hitoka-san can be lonely, you know."

"my club is already as hasty as it is - n-not saying volleyball is hasty but," she paused to watch yamaguchi doing a serve and she put on her proud smile where her eyes softened while watching him. "I don't want to distract tadashi with my presence. that'd be troublesome for him... and me, ukai-sensei."

daichi called for a 10 minute break and everyone went to their resting corner, drinking their waters and wiped their sweat off their face. yamaguchi and tsukishima went to their corner. that's when [Name] came to greet him.

"hi, tadashi." she greeted.

he smiled at the sight of her, his eyes averted down to hers. "oh, hello [Name]-san. what brings you here?"

that is when she extended her arm, showing the bento to him. "I bought food for you and tsukishima-kun's as well. sorry I couldn't find a proper meal for you but it's the nearest place.."

tsukishima pulled away his drinking bottle. "I don't mind. thank you, [Surname]-san."

yamaguchi took the bento from you. "really, it's no big deal, [Name]-san. t-thank you." his inner self came out seconds later, stuttering when he speaks with girls.

when he straightened up, [Name] looked up at him even more. has he gotten taller again...? he's almost at tsukishima's height.

"ne, tadashi-kun."

"yes, [Name]-san?"

"have you... grown taller or am I just imagining it?" she murmured but the two first-years heard her.

"o-oh, maybe because my training had gotten tough a-and I eat more food now." he told her.

"I see..." she went back to smiling. "okay, I'll just leave then. see you at school tomorrow."

but yamaguchi didn't look satisfied. "so soon? you just arrived."

"just stay for a while, [Surname]-san. you came to the gym twice a week; yamaguchi kept complaining about that.."

"tsukki!"

she turned to him. "you want me to... come here more often?"

he rubbed his nape, sweating nervously. "y-yeah, because I missed you and I barely see you during break time. you're always in your club room and over-working yourself."

[Name] is maybe soft-mannered but when she's working, she moves like a jaguar. her friends' eyes stung in pain just by moving and following her pace.

being taught to be bold, yamaguchi held her in his embrace and nuzzle his face in her hair. her hair had a fresh smell of diner, shampoo and sweat but he didn't mind. it was her scent, after all. what is there to complain?

"you're too tall, tadashi-kun... I can't reach your neck anymore." her face was hidden in his chest but she was pouting. yamaguchi took this as a joke and laughed, tightening the hug more.

now she knows how short people felt.