Chapter 18: The Colossal Mistake

Start from the beginning

“Where are you going?  Just calm down, will you?”  He was still smiling but it had shrunk in size.  She was starting to irritate him again.

“I don’t have time for this,” she slurred.  “I need to get out of here – now.”  She made to get out of his hold but Lucian wouldn’t give up that easily.

It didn’t matter anyway: an instant later, she felt the drugs begin fogging up her brain.  It began immediately.

What’s wrong?  Why can’t she just relax?

Look at him there, flirting with that slut!  We all know he should be here with me, but no!  He’s to blind to see that she’s just using him!  I need more drink…

I can’t believe I just did that!  God, I think I’m about to be sick…

Ugh, I hate this song…

Wow, Tristan looks super-hot tonight; maybe I should make a move…

EW, she looks like she’s about to puke…

Who’s that chick in red?  I so need to tap that…

It was starting.  Edana recognised the first sign that she was losing control: she could no longer block out the topmost thoughts of those around her.  If she didn’t get out of there soon she would begin hearing deeper thoughts, have a wider range and soon everyone around her wouldn’t be able to block her thoughts and memories from invading their minds.

“MOVE!”  Edana screamed.

Something’s not right…

What the hell is that girl’s problem?

God, she’s crazy…

Edana’s telekinesis threw Lucian off her and forced a path between the crowds to let her through.  She hadn’t taken two steps however before she was pushed to knees.  Her head was in so much pain in felt like it was about to split open.  It had never been this bad before.

I’m scared…

My mother hates me…

Man, I’m ugly…

I’m so evil…

I can’t believe I killed that baby all those years ago.  I can’t believe how much I enjoyed it…

Help me…

It was getting worse.  The thoughts were going deeper.  If Edana was at all capable of conscious thought at that moment she would have known that these were thoughts people didn’t even realise they were having at the time.  Edana curled herself into a ball on the floor, covered in a thin sheen of sweat and shaking from head to toe at the pain in her head.  It was too late.  She was in too much pain to move by herself and she doubted that everyone in the vicinity would realise they had to get almost a kilometre away from her to spare her.

Words became flashes of images.

A pale girl with bright blonde hair winces in pain as her mother digs her sharp nails into the skin where she’s gripping her arm.  The blonde girl is being scolded for not seducing a royal who has just married another…

A fiery red head crying over the corpse of her older brother…

A boy with bright green eyes and blonde hair being beaten by his father…

A brunette crawling across a forest next to a playground, near starving, spots a toddler that’s run too far ahead of his parents and is out of view…

A small boy with short midnight-black and crystal blue eyes watches his father standing out on a balcony above an awe-inspiring crowd, giving a speech.  He watches the people in the crowds faces, sees there trust, their loyalty, their pride, knowing that one day he will have to be in his father’s place…

“LUCIAN!”  The scream was ripped from her throat.  Blood dripped from her nose onto the white carpet, the other vampyres backed away.

A young girl – a human girl – with wide fearful eyes and filthy dark brown hair matted to her forehead.  She was terrified.  She was in…

Her consciousness gave an almighty lurch and dragged her back to her own body, her pain, the shock of her discovery immediately forgotten.

“Lucian – get me – away – far – away,” she whimpered.

The young girl was lying on her back on a large comfortable bed.  Her tiny body was covered in scars bruises.  She wished for the ability to scream to be returned.  She prayed for someone to help her as the bad man approached once again.

She was once again dragged back to her own body.  Her muddled mind took a while to register what was happening.  The first thing she noticed was that she was in open field, surrounded by grass, trees and skies.  Then:  she was sitting in Lucian’s lap and he was stroking her hair.

When Lucian heard Edana’s plea to take her away he had immediately scooped her up into his arms and sped away to the other side of their land.  He had taken her far way so that she could no longer hear the minds of the people in the mansion but it was not good enough yet.

“Go away,” Edana muttered, her face tight with pain.

“And leave you here alone?  Are you kidding?”  Lucian asked incredulously.

“You don’t understand!”  Edana moaned.  “I don’t have control over my abilities – the drugs…”

He was running through a forest.  His father was in his study again, writing up the papers to have a group of Gaunts that had just been caught executed…

“Your whole life – your memories – emotions – everything – I’ll see it – and you…” Edana panted, using the last of her strength to try and reign in as much control as she had left to try and block out his memories.  “And you’ll – see mine – you have to – go – now – please…”

Lucian was shocked.  He had done this.  All he had wanted was to get her to loosen up.  It hadn’t even crossed her mind that drinking too much would cost her control over her powers.

“Don’t worry,” he assured her.  “I’m stronger than I look.  I can make sure you don’t see my life and that I won’t see yours.  It’ll be okay.”

He was wrong.

[A.N.]   I am so sorry!  I am alive!  Just extremely busy!!  I've got a full-time job now and I work part-time on weekends and the odd weekday, so any free time I have is usually spent sleeping, eating or reading!  I hope this double upload makes it up to you, though the previous chapter is super short, if it helps it's 8:30am here right now, I worked full day yesterday and did a part-time job after but I thought my lack of uploading was getting rediculous so I stayed up all night writing these.  No jokes, I haven't slept since before I woke up for work yesterday morning at 6am and I have to work again tonight.  Eek.