Darker Times

Three Months Until Victoriad

Eleanor Leywin

The Lances were all walking to the council room, Commander Virion wanted to see us, but we didn't know what for. Boo was walking behind me, he wanted to come along because he could feel my anxiety, it made him anxious. I was scared for some reason, it was just a feeling, but I didn't know why I was feeling this way.

"Come on, El." Aya said, looking back at me as I slowed down a little, forcing me to pick up the pace as the council room came into view. "I guess he wanted to see more than just us, I can sense multiple people inside."

"Same." I said, I could sense mana signatures, I just didn't know who they were. "Aya, something isn't right." I shook my head as I walked. "Do you feel like something is off as well?"

"No." Aya answered, looking from me to the other Lances. "Nothing is wrong, El. I'm sure he just wants to give us a run down on something." That is what he usually does, maybe we'll be getting sent out into the field, I would be happy about that, it just doesn't explain my feeling.

"There's nothing wrong." Bairon spoke in front of us as we arrived at the council room. "It's just nerves." He told me as he motioned for us to walk in first, holding the door open.

I gave him a head nod and a smile as we entered the council room, inside sat Prince Curtis, Princess Kathyln, Buhnd, Cynthia Goodsky, King and Queen Glayder, King and Queen Eralith, and the Commander. "Everyone sit down, please, we have much to talk about."

We all walked around the desk and made our ways to the open seats; I sat down in between Kathyln and Buhnd. "How are you?" Kathyln asked, whispering to me.

"Good." I answered, then asked. "And you?"

"Same old, tired of this place." Kathyln smiled at me as Commander Virion made his way to the center of the room, standing before us, something he didn't usually do. "Is it serious?"

"Hold on, Tess." Commander Virion held up a hand, waiting for Varay to sit down, she took the last chair between Queen Glayder and Queen Eralith. "Now that everyone is here, there is much to talk about." He paused, looking around the room. "We have now made room for the eight thousand people down here that Virion had saved, but the issue is supplies, we barely have any, and it's about time we go back out there."

"You planning on only getting resources or is it time to retake Dicathen." Bairon asked the question I think we all wanted to hear an answer to. "Even without Virion and Arthur, we still have five thousand men and women who can fight. It may be enough to take back a city or two."

"No, just for resources." Commander Virion answered, shaking his head. "Without Virion and Arthur, I am afraid we can't hold a city, however, if the Asuras decide to aid us, then we might have a chance." When he said Asuras, the atmosphere changed, we all hated them for what they did, burning the Elven Kingdom down. "Speaking of them, I wanted to warn all of you before he showed up, but Windsom will be here any second now."

"What?!" Most of us exclaimed, but the person I sensed the most anger from what Buhnd, for some reason he was gripping the chair's arm rest extremely tight, basically breaking it, but I was the only one who noticed. "You can't be serious." Aya spoke up.

"I am." As Commander Virion spoke, Buhnd seemed to relax a little, the energy fading from him. "He has news for us, news he says that we need to know." He paused again, looking from person to person. "I ask you all, don't anger him, yes, we aren't on the best terms with him, but we can't go to war with a bunch of Asuras."

"Tch." Bairon snickered in anger, most of us did actually, but this was going to be the first time I see an Asura with my new body, it was kind of exciting to see just how much stronger I've gotten.