In Enemy Territory Pt. I

Circe Milview

"Are we close?" Fane asked with a very authoritative voice, and I could see his eyes darting from tree to tree, trying to sense anything heading our way. We've been hearing stories, that anyone who enters this forest, ends up dying, so I'm trying to focus as hard as I can to make sure we survive.

"Shh." I activated the crest on my back, pushing mana through my arms and into the tree, to create a beacon that will allow our army to travel through this god forsaken forest. The mist was awful, you couldn't see very much of anything.

"Circe, hurry up, my veil can't last forever, not when I am casting it to this degree." Cole said, he was able to hide the usage of mana, I finished the beacon, and turned to the shield.

The beacon needed three points; I already did the first two trees. "I am done." Maeve reached over, grabbed my arm, and we started moving. Implanting the beacon requires a lot of mana, so when it is done, people nearby are able to sense it, no matter what continent you were from.

The veil Cole was casting dispersed as we all moved quickly, but cautiously through the forest. With my crest, I was able to see ahead of us, so it was my job to keep an eye out for any enemy heading our way. I could see and sense about thirty yards ahead of us, so as we got further away from the beacon I had just placed, we started moving even slower.

"Do you sense anyone?" Fane asked, and I shook my head, sensing no one up ahead. "Are you sure?" I spun around and looked at him, the man was glaring at me. "You know what they said, the Devil of Dicathen, that child, could be here, if he is, I am not trying to run in to him."

"He's not here." Cold said worriedly. "We would already be dead."

"Or your veil is that good." Maeve responded; we were all whispering as we stood in enemy territory. "And no matter his strength, you should still be able to sense him coming, Circe."

"I know." I said, but I didn't want to sense that man, or child, he was a monster. We were basically tiptoeing through the forest, and about an hour later, I stopped us. "I think we should place a marker on this tree."

"Cole." Fane said, and his veil activated. "Get to it, Circe." I bent over, and started to instill my mana into the tree, creating the beacon for our army to follow. Fane was our Striker, with the job of protecting me, he was a veteran with an emblem.

I always needed to be cautious implanting the beacon, I didn't want anyone besides our people sensing it, if someone from Dicathen would, they would know where we were coming from, so I manually built the beacon with mana, hiding its signature in the tree.

"Done." I said, moving on to the next tree, and starting to implant the mana, I finished, and then moved on to the last one. "Just about done with this one." I whispered to my team.

As I finished, I stood up, and Maeve stuck to my side as we slowly made our way away from here. Cole was behind us, he would conjure a barrier if anything seemed off, or if there was a sign or danger. Fane was at the back, the veteran, the Striker, he was the strongest.

I was a new addition to this team, their Sentry was killed in training, but teams usually train for years before being sent into the field, and yet, here I am. My emblem was the best chance at securing a route through the forest, but who knows, maybe another team did it already.

A hand came across my chest, it was Maeve, she pointed down to the ground, laying beneath the fog, barely visible was a trap hole, and at the bottom were wooden spikes. "They were formed into that shape, not carved." Maeve said quietly.

"Plant magic." I said, there were reports when we first arrived in the forest that any survivors said that the trees were attacking them, vines strangling people, choking on spores, our enemy possessed a very dangerous power in this forest.